Things That Go Bump in the Night...or Day!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

persimmon

Reaction score
I live on the site of an old plantation home and the owners of said plantation are buried in the side yard. Digging for bottles and Civil War artifacts means walking out the door and digging like crazy. Once, after digging around in the side yard where the graves are (but well away from them, no grave robbing from me, I swear) I jokingly told my digging partner we could dig down and take a peek at the master and mistress's coffins. Before my digging partner could reply, a pretty strong gust of very cold wind started blowing and blew for about ten seconds before it stopped. Now why is that so strange? It was June in Mississippi, and nothing is naturally cold in June in Mississippi, much less wind, and it was a hot, sunny, humid day without even an occasional breeze. After apologizing profusely to to the good gentleman and his wife, I wisely decided to avoid making jokes about them in the future.

tigue710

Reaction score
There are strange things out there for sure... Ive all to many experiences growing up and living in many different colonial homes in CT...

My last house before I moved up here to Boston was inhabited by two young African American children. The house was built in the late 1690's, and served as an Inn and road house until the 1870's. Like most houses in CT George Washington is rumored to have slept there, but in this house it is likely, since a good friend of Washington's, Captain Shaw, father of the United States Navy often held secret meetings in the house, being a mile out side town and away from the attention of British loyalists... When anti slavery sentiment took hold a few years later slaves were smuggled in through the cove the house over looks, and were kept in the basement before auction. New London was one of the first cities to abolish slavery, at a time when even many New Englanders wanted to keep slaves still. Then many years later, as if the house some how wished to make up for that wrong it became a stop on the under ground railroad, with a false cellar dug below the existing cellar.

Of course the first time i saw them I passed it off as my mind playing tricks on me. Not long after, a new neighbor, who claim sensitivity to spiritual things said in passing, "I saw two young African American children playing in the yard today"...

When the two young children passed through and how they died I never did find out.... but I am certain they are there...

RedGinger

Reaction score
That was a well-written account Tigue. Thanks for sharing that interesting, goose bump giving story. Now, the next logical question is: WHAT ARTIFACTS DID YOU FIND AT THAT HOUSE????

Just Dig it

Reaction score
I used to live on an old Slave Built cotton plantation in claxton georgia....home of the fruit cake [:D]

at least 2 people a week would stop and ask who the lady in our attic window was
I never saw her until the day i left that place ..she was in the attic window clear as day
white dress hair back in a bun type thing looking straight at me...i was young but it never made me have to question the subject...Id probably belive you if you told me you saw bigfoot and a jackalope playing poker on a mossy log...worlds full of crazy stuff . ..you spend a good portion of your life dreaming...id say that makes your dreams a part of this reality..if theyre possible what isnt?

capsoda

Reaction score
Bigfoot!!!!! that is a myth!!!! Now those jackalopes are had critters to catch. They were everywhere in Colorado when I was there. [;)][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

I have seen and heard many, many strange thing in my life so far. That kind of stuff don't bother me like they used to when I was young.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Yeah, Cap, but there is a "Bigtoe"[:D] I think that kind of thing would definitely bother me if it happened at my house, but real life is usually scarier!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
The young children's spirits are considered the "poltergeist" mischief makers.Nothing like the movie.

I have a story of true accounts of poltergeist when I was growing up.They do fallow you when you move to another house.

I have go to work now, I will put the story on tonight.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles