This afternoon's privy dig 7/17

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Got out this afternoon with my son and was able to dig a 8 ft. woodliner we had probed over a year ago.We had always put it off because it was under a shed and didn't fell glassy.Being a weekday and starting late I figured we might as well dig it and get it off of my mind.After pulling up a brick patio(which it was under) a test hole revealed it could be good when a pontilled base came up on the shovel.It ended up dating to the 1840's-50's and gave up a decent amount of bottles but only two with embossing.They were an Iron pontilled G.W. Denig's Cough Balsam and an open pontilled Indian Cholagogue.It ended up storming on us near the bottom and the downspout to the shed was right above the hole so I hurried to finish up before the walls became liquid and ran into the hole.The city we were digging in is like a giant sand box so woodies over 6ft. can be scary without rain.I think and hope I didn't miss any,but is filled and I am not going back.There were some killer bottles broken including a Masonic flask in olive-amber,some great pontilled medicines,a base to a pontilled cobalt bottle that looked like a flask and a Zanesville swirl with a double collar lip( I have never seen another).I didn't have my camera but took some pics of the intact bottles.Take care,Doug

CF136FFC2E894989BFA7DD91687CCB95.jpg

Attachments

• CF136FFC2E894989BFA7DD91687CCB95.jpg
    CF136FFC2E894989BFA7DD91687CCB95.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 68

appliedlips

Reaction score
The two medicines,the Denig's is a local bottle.

FF3A0E6EEAAC465A903EE01CC43B9F1D.jpg

Attachments

• FF3A0E6EEAAC465A903EE01CC43B9F1D.jpg
    FF3A0E6EEAAC465A903EE01CC43B9F1D.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 71

appliedlips

Reaction score
The bases

324B05F272CA42AF9363C1D9341E03E3.jpg

Attachments

• 324B05F272CA42AF9363C1D9341E03E3.jpg
    324B05F272CA42AF9363C1D9341E03E3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 75

Shagnasty

Reaction score
glad to see ya out tearin it up! looks like ya got a few keepers i was out in the shop most of the and i got a start on the handle for youre meat tenderizer when i get it done i will take a pic or 2 and bring back the old post

later man shagnasty

appliedlips

Reaction score
Shag,

Thanks buddy!I am sure you will do a fine job on the handle.I need to get over your way again soon.I've been through a couple times for work and knocked on some doors but no luck.I will give you a buzz when it cools off a little.Watch out for them damn longhairs![:D]Doug

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Nice glass Doug, my rule of thumb is have camera will travel, ya never know when your going to stroll up and find a pontil river dump or a pontil pit on a lovely afternoon.[;)] Rick

logueb

Reaction score
Great dig there Doug, You guys make it look so easy. It's hard for me to locate anything earlier than toc. Hopefully after retirement that I will have the time to do more digging. Haven't located one of those early privys yet. Maybe one day. In the meantime I'll enjoy these great post on privy digs. Good job and lots of luck on future digs. Buster.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments guys.Cap,It still really didn't have any trash layer,just a bottle here and a bottle there in the corners.It was a nice suprise.Rick,As far as the camera is concerned I am much more worried about my shovel,bucket,rope,and digger.I like to take pics but like to get the hole dug and filled in even more.I try never to leave a hole open and stay until they are dug and filled even if it's midnight.With the rain coming yesturday,I wasn't stopping to take pics.We dug and filled it in a couple hours and still got wet.[:D][:D]

Buster,It isn't always easy.I dig every chance I get and dig alot of crappy holes.I dig almost always on permissions at old places and this is the biggest key.Like,I said about this one "not feeling glassy" I do not dig every hole I probe to bottom.If a test hole reveals newer stuff and it don't feel like it has a good layer at bottom I will fill it.If it is old I dig it,no matter what.The dump I dug last week was surrounded by TOC stuff which I passed up to find the older stuff.Old glass is always harder to find and takes more time.I figure I will find 100 TOC dumps and privies to every pre 1860 one,and if I dig all those I will never have the time to find the one I am looking for.Then when I find the older ones they are normally empty.This is just my approach and it doesn't mean I don't like digging newer stuff,I just make a choice.The other stuff will always be available.I am sure when you get the time,you will be finding some great stuff.What part of the country are you in?Good luck,Doug
'

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Giles