This afternoon's privy dig 7/17

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

logueb

Reaction score
I dig every last cubic inch of it

I'm with Zane on this one. Even though I don't dig privies, I like to dig every square inch of the dumps that I dig. I've spent the last two digs trying to straighten out the hole in the dump that I am now digging. The dump jumpers dug shallow, piling dirt and debris everywhere and did not dig to the bottom. They hit a rock , go around it and leave sections undug. Found sodas, meds, Sharpe and Dhome's poison just trying to staighten out the mess. What were they looking for?

appliedlips

Reaction score
Zane,

I have nothing against collecting newer bottles like milks and Cokes I and will dig them if nothing else is available.You are right a pit with newer fill can get old and it is not a science but this is an exeption outside of major cities without deep stone and bricklined holes.I try to probe all the pits on a lot before starting to dig this helps with making these decisions.If one looks new in the top and I got 4 more holes in a 1840's yard it gets filled.If the yard is wide open and I only probe a single 4X8' stoneliner I dig it to bottom.The rare milk would be the exception in a newer hole and a Drake's is a common 1860's bottle(not that I dig many intact).I was only offering advice based on personal experience and preference and not trying to influence anyone.My choice is not to dig that crap with the hopes of pulling out something worth a couple of bucks.I just have a different approach and it works for me and gives a better chance of success.I don't think, "If I dig to bottom of this 15 ft. hole with no layer I might find the one that makes it worthwhile" I think positive in another way."I will probably get a decent bottle or two but could dig two 8 footers with a good layer instead".I dug them all when I started and got a couple productive old holes a year.Now,I expect to get into a pre 1870 hole every day I go digging.Point is the newer stuff will ALWAYS be available to dig and the milks and cokes will be only more common in 20 years while the good stuff becomes harder and harder to find.It is not a science but different approaches work for different people.Doug

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying Doug and you have valid points. When I was growing up and would door knock for antiques with my dad we would step right over milk bottles and fruit jars to get to a tavern table or a bucket bench. I shudder to think at the things we left behind because we didn't know any better. That was until I went to my first Milk Bottle Auction. There were milks bringing $400 plus. That's what opened my eyes in a big way.
I too love digging the good early stuff but I'm just as happy to dig that "Unlisted Milk" too. I look at it this way. They threw out early stuff into the new holes as well. A cracked or damaged stoner or piece of Flow Blue could be sitting anywhere in any hole. Your right about digging test holes I do the same but I figure once I hit trash that's atleast a hundres years old anything of any age could pop out of that hole.
My dad has been in the antiques business for over 40 years and looks down on certain collectibles himself until he see me buy something, he won't, and make several hundred on it. I think that's why I collect the druggists. The older collectors have turned their noses up at them for years and thus have kept prices affordable but it won't always be that way.
Don't get me wrong. I'm like you when it comes to digging an early hole but I am happy to find any hole that produces good bottles and relics no matter the age.

appliedlips

Reaction score
You are right about the milks.They can bring very good money and I have dug and sold several high dollar ones in the past year but they don't do nothing for me.I don't care for hutch sodas and some other desirable bottles either but don't mind trading them for stuff I like.Druggists are great bottles with alot of history but like milks will always attract only local attention.One year druggists from a certain city will be $6 bottles and the next the same bottle will bring $30 because of one new collector.You have chose a great collecting category,and have many local to you to collect.I personally enjoy druggists alot but I am not local to Ohio so I don't really collect them from here.You are right about the late throwaways in newer holes but I can count on one hand the times it happened to me out of hundreds of holes.Good luck on your future digs,Doug

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR