This weeks digs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hello diggers-

Have been on the trail for early pontilled sites, but had no luck. Must have hiked 5 miles back and forth through the woods behind a couple of 1700's home sites, probing as I went. Couldnt find a shred of evidence of a dump site or trash pit, felt like it was right under my feet somewhere.

I did find a nice newer dump 1890's-1920, with lots of digging to do. It was at the end of a short tote trail at the end of a row of 8 identical turn of the century looking houses. There were several dumps sites back there, all new. But I found a semi circular drop off, sliding down about 5 feet. There were no signs of trash or iron on the surface, but it looked like it just HAD to be where these houses would have dumped there trash.

So I probed down through the leaves and topsoil anyways. It went through about a foot and a half smooth and easy, and sure enough there was a trash layer down below. It had clearly never been dug, as whole bottles came out pretty steady, but most were ketchup bottles, and clear cork top unembossed medicines. There were a few keepers though, including a green strap sided SS Pierce bottle, a Duffy's malt whiskey, a couple of aqua Johnsons Anodyne Liniment, and the best of the group, a clear tooled top " Clark Stanley Snake Oil Linement" bottle.

There's lots of digging to go! I need to clear an area off that is about 10 foot by 10 foot, and about a foot deep, all dirt and pine needles, before the dump below it. The houses were only 1890's but you can certainly get good bottles from dumps of that age. I'm just still craving some pontil glass ! Oh well, maybe a late throw.

I'll try to attach a few pics
Happy digging
Bram
The Downeast Digger

Wu61639.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61639.jpg
    Wu61639.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 49

madman

Reaction score
wow great dump pix! looks like you found a good one! man id love to find a flat dump,great finds!! ive found dumps in wooded areas to be shallow, but spread over large areas best of luck mike

David E

Reaction score
Here is a little info, CLARK STANLEYS SNAKE OIL
LINIMENT FOR RHEUMATISM
AND NEURALGIA BEST HORSE
LINIMENT IN THE WORLD
Product of Clark Stanley, Providence, RI, advertised 1880's and 1899.
Clear 6 1/2" x 1 3/8" x 1 3/8"

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hi Bram, Ihaven't seen you inawhile... Good to see you out and about looking forbottles. Any water deep enoughto dive i? Give me and Kevin a call! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Talk to you soon,

Wayne[;)]

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Thanks for the info on the Clark Stanleys Dave - I've dug a couple over the years. so I'm not surprised it's an east coast bottle.

Hi Wayne! Doin any ice water diving this winter? Found any more killer bottles lately diving? I meant to tell you I found that Hayden bottle in an old catalog. If you're in the area Ill show it to you.

Diggin again on Monday, we have snow now, but it's supposed to be 50 on Monday, and the dump I'm workin in has a nice deep pine needle insulation, so it shouldn't be frozen.

Happy diggin guys,
Bram

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229