Threaded finishes and Threads in the Mold

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Now this is to ask for connections to information. I note that recently some of you are seeking information on how we selected our user names. Some times I think mine should have been Bottle Mysteries. So that became my homepage title.

Now then I am now working on about eleven blogs to be put on my home page for information for people that collect and are interested in bottle making history and technology.
07/04/2013 I am adding this to my “BLOG DO LISTâ€
There is good reason to point out special glass bottle making history for collectors to know about and watch for when they are collecting glass by digging, bottle shows, or stores and flee markets as they go,.

They are interesting and there isn't much written about the “how it was done†and â€when it was doneâ€.

If anyone has collected any references to this subject, I would like to hear from you.

RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
They are interesting and there isn't much written about the “how it was done†and â€when it was doneâ€.
Interesting topic Red. I went through a few books this morning but mostly just the contents and I may have missed them.
The ground top jars and bottles are fairly straight forward but inside threads I'm not sure of.
Was the IT a two part process or a single tool? I can think of ways to do it either way but it would be just speculation.

westernbittersnut

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

Now this is to ask for connections to information. I note that recently some of you are seeking information on how we selected our user names. Some times I think mine should have been Bottle Mysteries. So that became my homepage title.

Now then I am now working on about eleven blogs to be put on my home page for information for people that collect and are interested in bottle making history and technology.
07/04/2013 I am adding this to my “BLOG DO LISTâ€
There is good reason to point out special glass bottle making history for collectors to know about and watch for when they are collecting glass by digging, bottle shows, or stores and flee markets as they go,.

If anyone has collected any references to this subject, I would like to hear from you.

RED Matthews

For those collectors/historians of antique glass bottles, the book I wrote titled EARLY GLASSWORLKS OF CALIFORNIA gives great detail about the operations and products produced by these works during their operations from 1859 to 1899. All sources used were written at the time of their operations. The book is in its 3rd printing and I have only 4 copies left. Hardbound sewn with 301 pages. Price is $200. Email is warrenls6@sbcglobal.net or (530) 271-5757.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
For those collectors/historians of antique glass bottles, the book I wrote titled EARLY GLASSWORLKS OF CALIFORNIA gives great detail about the operations and products produced by these works during their operations from 1859 to 1899. All sources used were written at the time of their operations. The book is in its 3rd printing and I have only 4 copies left. Hardbound sewn with 301 pages. Price is $200. Email is warrenls6@sbcglobal.net or (530) 271-5757.

Thanks Warren, I hadn't heard of your book before. I have read over a hundred books about early glass making and I put together a homepage to cover some of my work in the industry. At this point in time I am 84 and now one doesn't have a lot of time or money. Did you work in the industry?

Does your book cover these finish developments? Maybe you could send me a copy of the table of contents? <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>
RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The ground top jars and bottles are fairly straight forward but inside threads I'm not sure of.
Was the IT a two part process or a single tool? I can think of ways to do it either way but it would be just speculation.

Well Eric and others that are interested. I have four different bottles that have internal threads in the finish. I haven't found much about how they formed them because it had to be a unique method or turning them in and retracting the tooling. I have done quite a review of the process of pressing insulators and forming the threads in them.

There have been a lot of coverage on the threads in the mold and the top ground surface of the finish to obtain a good rubber or cork sealling - effect. I know Georgeoj, had covered a lot of jar applications, but we have lost him now.

RED Matthews

dw3000

Reaction score
I found this 1872 patent for a tool that formed internal threads in bottle finishes for threaded glass stopper.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/frankpatenttool.pdf

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973