Three Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Windywood

Reaction score
Am attaching three bottles - two I think may be dated from late 1800s to early 1900s. The third one looks like a small soda bottle with textured glass. Not sure about that one. Not looking for value. I am looking for a time period and what the bottle was used for. This is for a display. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_3207 (002).jpg
    IMG_3207 (002).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3208 (002).jpg
    IMG_3208 (002).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3210 (002).jpg
    IMG_3210 (002).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3214 (002).jpg
    IMG_3214 (002).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 86

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The first is a 1910-20-ish jar which would have held capers or some similar small pickle. The textured one was likely grape juice, you can tell the difference between a soda and a juice bottle by the weight. Since soda was carbonated the glass had to be much thicker. The third one I have honestly no clue. It almost looks like the stopper to a fancy decanter which is sitting upside down, but I'd need to see pictures of the base and a close-up picture of the rim.

Windywood

Reaction score
omg! You are probably right about the stopper. Never thought to turn it upside down! Attached is a pic of the top. I wondered why it didn't have a lip! Can you guesstimate the years for the stopper and for the soda/juice bottle? Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_3216 (002).jpg
    IMG_3216 (002).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 52

Windywood

Reaction score
Also, the first jar has a flared mouth. How did they stopper or put a lid on it?
thank you.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
omg! You are probably right about the stopper. Never thought to turn it upside down! Attached is a pic of the top. I wondered why it didn't have a lip! Can you guesstimate the years for the stopper and for the soda/juice bottle? Thank you!!
That one is actually an ink, I've seen some before, forget the name.

Windywood

Reaction score
Thank you for your response! I thought it was an ink well at first, however, I cannot find any online that look like this. The ones on line seem to have a wider base and a lip on the opening, an this has no lip. Now I am interested in going back and researching inkwells again!

Update: I am finding ink wells/ink bottles that are a similar shape which they call "cone ink wells". I have found some with the same "no lip" straight top, and the ring below it. I cannot find anything with the embossed bubbles, and mine still seems to have a more narrow base.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It's vaguely similar in shape to a travel inkwell, those had smooth lips because they'd have a wooden or metal stopper fitting over them. I wouldn't expect one of those to have ornate embossing though, because typically they would fit inside of a little cylinder.
1689005185001.png

Could you post a picture of the bottom? And also a higher resolution image of that area just below the ring? It looks to me like there might be a horizontal seam there, which would support my stopper idea because it would mean it's likely ABM and probably past the era of inkwells shaped like that.

Windywood

Reaction score
It's vaguely similar in shape to a travel inkwell, those had smooth lips because they'd have a wooden or metal stopper fitting over them. I wouldn't expect one of those to have ornate embossing though, because typically they would fit inside of a little cylinder.
View attachment 248062
Could you post a picture of the bottom? And also a higher resolution image of that area just below the ring? It looks to me like there might be a horizontal seam there, which would support my stopper idea because it would mean it's likely ABM and probably past the era of inkwells shaped like that.
It's currently at my office, and so I will take pics on my phone and post them tomorrow. I know nothing about antique bottles, but the bottom is flat. I would think that if it were a stopper, it would not be flat and plain like that. Not at all pretty considering it would be the top of a decanter that everyone would see.... but once again, I have no knowledge of these. I have also tried Googling perfume bottle and scent/aroma bottle but have not seen anything similar to this. Thank you!

Last edited:

Windywood

Reaction score
OK, I am attaching photos of the top, side(s), and bottom. I am also attaching photos of it as if it were a stopper. Hoping this will help solve the mystery! Thank you!

Attachments

• Bottom3.jpg
    Bottom3.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Side Horizontal.jpg
    Side Horizontal.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Side2.jpg
    Side2.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Bottom2.jpg
    Bottom2.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 51
  • stopper view.jpg
    stopper view.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 47
  • stopper view2.jpg
    stopper view2.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Windywood

Reaction score
Also, can someone give me a time period estimate for the textured grape juice bottle? I can find nothing like it online. thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen