Tillman Dispensary?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oklabottles

Reaction score
I ran across a bottle digging forum called the treasuredepot not a very good forum, not even sure how to make an account to post anything on there was horrible format and hard to use. But I did run across something interesting I guy on there has a South Carolina dispensary crock flask that he does not know much about he said he took it on antiquesroadshow but they couldn't tell him anything about it I know there were many different varieties of these containers and it was opended un tillmans legislation but what do yall think about it. also when he went to antiques roadshow some one offered him $500 for it.

6CB618BEACF64AA2A3FF10D835624D37.jpg

Attachments

• 6CB618BEACF64AA2A3FF10D835624D37.jpg
    6CB618BEACF64AA2A3FF10D835624D37.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 60

sandchip

Reaction score
Can't shed any light on it, but it is interesting. Maybe some Gamecocks out there can tell us something.

judu

Reaction score
well i know ben tillman started the south carolina dispensary co back in the late 1800s. went out of buisness in 1907. i do know that pottery is sometimes found with the sc dispensary logo. thats a pretty cool bottle that looks to me to be an early version of the sc dispensaries...im sure others with more knowlege on them can help more.....

marjorie040

Reaction score
Hello oklabottles,

I have a copy of Phillip Huggins', The South Carolina Dispensary a bottle collector's atlas and history of the system, and see no mention of any dispensary bottle like yours. At the time of publishing, 1997, Dr. Huggins was a practicing physician in South Carolina. Perhaps you should try to contact him in regards to your bottle....it appears very interesting.
Please let us know what you find out.
Regards,

mattatennis

Reaction score
If you cant find any info on it, i think it is a repro or fake. Its spelled "Palmatto" on the bottle instead of Palmetto. But, im hoping that this is an authentic piece!

judu

Reaction score
it almost looks to me to be like a "prot-type" bottle. maybe created to show the way he wanted his bottle to be.if its real and not a fake i would imagine it to very very valuable. wish i had it.......

GACDIG

Reaction score
I live in NC and own server of the SC dispensary bottles. Never seen anything like that around here, and we have a good many and types in this area. Something about the patina does not look right to be as old as it should be. The neck and lip of the crock is too crude with no structure as a manufactured bottle would have. Good luck with you search for information.
gac

Plumbata

Reaction score
Doesn't look right to me either. If it was something intended for a decent level of production it would have been debossed with a stamp (I would think) and if it was to be created along the lines of scratch jugs, the potter would probably demonstrate far greater skill in the creation of the design and lettering. It looks amateur, and considering the boom of small-scale hobby potters in the 60s-70s, right when bottle collecting was also booming, it would make sense that someone fused their 2 interests in a rustic fantasy piece. Perhaps I am mistaken, but from the image I am leaning towards the evaluation that it is less than 50 years old.

I would have taken that 500 bucks and ran laughing all the way to the bank. [:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward