To clean or not to clean?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

timeandabottle

Reaction score
Sometimes a bottles staining is so bad it actually is pretty in many collectors minds. This 6 panel cathedral pickle is like that. I’ve debated having it tumbled for years but it remains as is. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 107

nhpharm

Reaction score
I kinda like it. I've seen a few like this that were tumbled and the "glass rot" makes it so they don't look great even after tumbling. I'd leave it with its history intact.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Sometimes a bottles staining is so bad it actually is pretty in many collectors minds. This 6 panel cathedral pickle is like that. I’ve debated having it tumbled for years but it remains as is. Thoughts?
It looks pretty rough. Doubt that tumbling would increase its desirability, but it might help you like it better. Tumbling will remove the discoloration, but it will still be rough.

TexasRancher

Reaction score
No, I would never tumble a thin uneven bottle like that one. Absolutely I would clean it to prestine condition instead of leaving it natural. Soak it in 30% vinager with Dawn dish soap for three days. It'll get rid of the lime and rust stains. Then use a good bottle brush inside the small crevices and a Stainless steel or copper brillo pad to scrub the remaining lime & scale to clean the surface of the glass. That bottle does not need tumbling at all...it's great smooth glass-mint.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've tumbled alot rougher looking bottles. if your good at tumbling with lots of experience you can make that bottle attic mint looking in my opinion. but just my opinion. others may vary. Leon.

Roy

Reaction score
My 2 cents.
Some collectors like their bottles like that, but I don't. I like them to sparkle as they did when they were new.
It reminds me of a nice classic car or truck with the primer coming through the old paint.
It just needs a bit of work to restore it to it's original beauty.
Having said that, here is a similar (though nowhere near as nice as yours) bottle that I bought for next to nothing with full intentions of tumbling it.
It came out better than I expected.

Roy

Attachments

• 20230730_142546.jpg
    20230730_142546.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230809_121447.jpg
    20230809_121447.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230809_121428.jpg
    20230809_121428.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 73

nhpharm

Reaction score
Zoom in on the bottle-it has delamination to the glass. We see this a lot on earlier glass in the South in certain soils. That discoloration isn't going anywhere without tumbling, but furthermore, the glass will remain very uneven even after tumbling. I have a Udolpho Wolfe's that was like this and was tumbled. It doesn't look bad but on the inside of the bottle the glass is very uneven from the delamination.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Zoom in on the bottle-it has delamination to the glass. We see this a lot on earlier glass in the South in certain soils. That discoloration isn't going anywhere without tumbling, but furthermore, the glass will remain very uneven even after tumbling. I have a Udolpho Wolfe's that was like this and was tumbled. It doesn't look bad but on the inside of the bottle the glass is very uneven from the delamination.
It's a good day when we get to use "DELAMINATION" in a sentence!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen