Today's not so great privy dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Well, it's been a month since I put shovel to earth, but now that the summer 100º days have skipped town for a while we ventured forth. The target for today was a site where a barn/stable had sat since 1878. The building was removed by whoever owns the property and dirt was exposed where a heavy redwood plank floor once covered it. The first thing I noticed was that some digger had busted through the floor and dug a map box that showed on the 1895 Sanborn. The leftovers told me that the pit was TC at best, so nothing was missed.

Our attention was focused on the older pits and sure enough I probed one out 4' away from the ABD and slightly in front of it. It was fluff and ash from 6" below the surface, and the pit was 3' X 5' X 4 1/4' deep. There were plenty of hits in it but was it old enough? https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/old86/CIMG1768.jpg

As we plowed down in to the ash and seed filled pit a few, and I do mean FEW, bottles appeared. Most were applied top, but of little consequence. Plainers, Hoods and crude Mellings Foods were the most of it. Lots of busted stuff, too, but no criers, just plenty of ironstone dishes, lamp chimneys, thunder mugs, and other household usage items. https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/old86/CIMG1769.jpg

Sorry, nothing to post photos of except this "Present" mug and a duck egg that someone tossed in without breaking it.
https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/old86/CIMG1770.jpg
https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/old86/CIMG1771.jpg

All I can say is better luck next time.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Sorry, the photos didn't translate from my new iMac G5. Like the bottle diggin', better luck next time, I reckon. I won't be posting for a while unless something interesting turns up in the next dig.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Yeah we all know that feeling.I just keep saying,maybe the next one maybe the next one.Sooner or latter a good one will pop*

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
DOH!!! I fo'got about changing the bracket thing. Here are the pics of the pit and not much else.
CIMG1768.jpg

CIMG1769.jpg

CIMG1770.jpg

CIMG1771.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Yah done did it! Glad you mastered that thing. I'm lookin forward to seeing more of your pictures...

[IMG]http://www.redhotjazz.com/6brownbrothers1.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
At least you got an omelette out of the deal! [;)]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
We dug another 1870s pit yestsrday that held not one good bottle! Perfectly virginal, plenty broken jars and stuff, but zero bottles left undamaged. Why did they do that? Even the lousy blacks and wines were busted.[:mad:]

swizzle

Reaction score
Maybe they had to much fiber in their diets or they chucked some gall stones at them. [:D] There's more pits to be dug. I got turned down flat today on an 1820's mansion. I could really use some advise on getting permission to dig this one. Its owned by 2 little old ladies and they don't ever recall an outhouse or have any interest in someone digging bottles. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I really hope you do a lot better on your next pit. Swiz

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Swiz, just openly and honestly plead your case to them. Explain that there was no indoor plumbing until the 1870s and fewer homes had an "inside convenience" until decades after that. Be patient, it can take a long time to loosen some folks up. Maybe offer to do some physical work to their house or property in return for digging rights.

swizzle

Reaction score
The mansion is falling down and the backyard where the pits should be is overgrown. They don't live there and they are selling the place. I have a chance at some old bottles when they have their sale again next weekend. I'll try to talk to them again. I really need to get a few privies under my belt with lots of pics and a folder that I can show people what privy digging is all about. I might have better luck with the new owners too, so I'm not gonna give up. It just sucks to see people with so little interest in old glass. They kinda acted like I was bothering them. Swiz

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers