Took a risk on this one

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

div2roty

Reaction score
Plenty of good buys at antique shops, people just have to look around. I've listed bottles on ebay and had it sell for twice what I was asking for in the store. I've sold lots of bottles at shows for the exact amount I would have sold them for in the store.

Basically, what I tell my customers is an item is worth it if you like it. If you plan on sitting the bottle on a shelf and enjoying it for several years than it is well worth what you paid for it. However, if you bought it with the intention of listing it online and selling it for 3 times what you paid for it, then it probably was a bad buy. Value, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Picklejar

Reaction score
My issue with a shop is that any time four walls are put around that bottle, the price goes up. That's a fact of life, and thats ok. I'm accustomed to digging, knowing diggers, and really making a life of scouring outdoor markets. I get the bottles I want for a fraction of the price. Usually, they are mud covered, just how I like 'em! I have been turned off most shops by owners who do not price realistically, and then refuse to negotiate. This includes situations where the bottles were badly damaged, and they just could not see that being a reason for devaluing a blob top. Maybe I'm crazy, but I say cut out the middle man! I do not intend to offend, just my opinion. ---Joe

kungfufighter

Reaction score
A good value is a good value whether one finds an object at a shop, show, auction, tag sale, etc. As in any endeavour, if one is hoping to buy bottles low and sell high he or she should be armed with knowledge and make decisions based upon that knowledge, not on the venue in which an object is found.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
hong-kong-phooey.jpg

Picklejar

Reaction score
Perhaps....perhaps, or maybe it was due to the fact that his shoes were two sizes too small foe his feet? hmm? [;)] ---Joe

Picklejar

Reaction score
But seriously, I don't own an antique store so I guess the thought of working around one doesn't bother me. That's all. Don't wanna hijack this gentleman's thread any longer, so truce? For now? --Joe

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Can we have a truce if there is not a fight? Just trying to point out that a good bottle is a good bottle no matter how its found. Sadly for the OP, he did probably overpay for the bottle in question but that's not the shop owner's fault:) Chalk it up to experience and get 'em the next time.

div2roty

Reaction score
There is an additonal cost associated with every bottle you buy or dig. At shows, even flea markets, there are booth costs. Although they are pretty minimum, but there is a lot of time involved, and potentially travel costs and hotel costs as well.

I edit books part time for $11-15 an hour, so every time I go dig or hunt a flea market, or sell at a flea market, I am giving up that money. Now when I sell or find something, technically that cost is added in.

Now digging is a great way to get bottles, but their is time and effort involved, and honestly there are times I'd rather pay for someone's overhead and profit for them than spend all that time and effort.

Like Jeff said, good deals are good deals.

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: div2roty

There is an additonal cost associated with every bottle you buy or dig. At shows, even flea markets, there are booth costs. Although they are pretty minimum, but there is a lot of time involved, and potentially travel costs and hotel costs as well.

I edit books part time for $11-15 an hour, so every time I go dig or hunt a flea market, or sell at a flea market, I am giving up that money. Now when I sell or find something, technically that cost is added in.

Now digging is a great way to get bottles, but their is time and effort involved, and honestly there are times I'd rather pay for someone's overhead and profit for them than spend all that time and effort.

Like Jeff said, good deals are good deals.

I have always gotten a kick out of people who think that just because you dug something that you got it for free. I know I spend about $3000 a year on gas alone to go digging. Add in tools, tolls, the occasional $20 bucks to a crack head to let us dig behind his house. and I'm sure you can tack on another $1000. I could buy a few pretty nice bottles for $4000 a year. But I love the hunt and all the extra little things you find in the process and all the great people I have dug with and interesting homeowners we have met make for just a great fun time. Some of the stories I have are priceless. I just couldn't buy this kind of entertainment at any price.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen