Trash pit find....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SCdigger

Reaction score
PDRM0058.JPG

Well, hit a cabin site for about an hour on Sunday and nothing really special surfaced MDing, but about 10 minutes before I had to leave to go to my son's baseball practice, I was digging a target, when I realized that I broke a bottle in doing so...it was not deep, but old. I got to scraping the surface with my shovel and as I uncovered more glass, some green feather edge china, and some more iron, I realized that I was in a trash pit...the pit is right off the back of where the "kitchen" room was. I scraped in a couple more minutes and saw the edge to this small flask...

PDRM0063.JPG

I'm not sure of the age, but it does predate ABM's at the seam does not go all the way to the top.

PDRM00641.JPG

You can also see in the next picture that the neck is actually a bit crooked, so it's a bit crudely made.

PDRM0065.JPG

Questions are: can anyone tell me the age of the bottle. And what the best way to approach this pit...I've only scraped the surface (about 6-8 inches) with my entrenching tool. The area I've scraped covers about the size of a trash can lid. How much diameter and depth could I expect it to go, and should I slowly now begin to dig it out with my small Lesche digger or keep shoveling with a bigger shovel...do I need to get the sifter out? Sorry for rambling questions. I've dug winter huts, but never a trash pit...as far as I know, I could have hit the end already. Thanks for any advice.
Greg

SCdigger

Reaction score
RE: Trash pit find....hummmm?

My first post here....can't use html?

Greg

Welcome to Antique-Bottles.Net !!

No html but you can embed urls of pictures and your post above has been edited to do that. If you can it's better to upload pictures ( see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture ) because then they are there for posterity! - Admin

SCdigger

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input...Harry, I recognize your name...do you ever or have you ever post on any of the MDing forums? Thanks.

Headed out tonight and tomorrow morning to see if I can dig this pit out some before the ground turns to concrete!

Greg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Yes, Greg, several of us here post occasionally to The New Treasure Depot forum. I saw your post about this flask there without any useful response.

My opinion is that this forum (Antique Bottles.net) is the place to be if you are more than an incidental bottle-collector.

Show us what else you find at the cabin site!

----------Harry Pristis

woody

Reaction score
Here's the "coffin" flask that turning amethyst out of the dump I've been digging.

Jh15043.jpg

Attachments

• Jh15043.jpg
    Jh15043.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 73

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris