trying to re locate an old dump site i found years ago

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
key word at this point would be trying , around 2013 I metal detected an old farm property near where I live and located an old dump site . it was fairly small and found because it contained old flat head nails .

in terms of bottles mostly old whiskey , an old ketchup , wine bottle , a couple small corked bottles and an old insulator . seemed to be from late 1890's or early 1900's

I haven't dug at the site since but obviously wonder if there is anything else there to be found , its currently all forested with small trees like red pine and maple . but at one point this lot was a farm type property according to old maps .

so on the weekend I poked around briefly with a metal detector and found several metal items but no old nails .

metal items included an old shovel , old hinge ,metal bars , bucket handle and a couple unidentified items all metal . all the metal items were found in a small 20 ft by 20 ft area and virtually no hits anywhere out of it , so perhaps a building or something there at some point ?

I walked around and can't visually see the place I dug at back then and I would of cleaned up most of the stuff I dug out so isn't a pile of trash lying around there either
20200504_131850.jpg
20200504_131854.jpg
20200502_143108.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I also went back a second time but only found 2 metal items in the same general area as others

one looks like a shovel but much heavier and made of iron

also an older axe head

not sure why I wasn't able to find any old nails as before there seemed to be many .

I also still have pictures from 2013 if anyone wants to see what I found here back then as I'm not sure where that old post would be , to better explain why I was so interested in this lot

20200504_124914.jpg
20200504_132432.jpg

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
I went back to western PA. last late spring to hit some old dumps I had dug about 20-22 years earlier, only to find once I got to them they looked as if there never was a dump there at all, not to mention there were no trespassing signs splattered all over the trees surounding the area, was a bit bummed because I know there is still many great bottles and earlier beer and soda cans at those spots, I moved on to a couple different spots, found a few things, but nothing great, kinda ended up being a wasted trip.

RCO

Reaction score
I went back to western PA. last late spring to hit some old dumps I had dug about 20-22 years earlier, only to find once I got to them they looked as if there never was a dump there at all, not to mention there were no trespassing signs splattered all over the trees surounding the area, was a bit bummed because I know there is still many great bottles and earlier beer and soda cans at those spots, I moved on to a couple different spots, found a few things, but nothing great, kinda ended up being a wasted trip.

i find the no trespassing signs are more to scare away illegal dumping , hunters and atv/dirt bikes . I doubt most would care if someone walked thru and found a bottle or old can .

they just don't want to have to clean up garbage or they dislike hunting or worried about liability if someone fires a gun on there property when other people might be around

most of those signs are also just put up by old grumps who rarely visit there property anyways , its just to scare people

RCO

Reaction score
went back still no bottles but I found an area that seems very similar to the area I found years ago and could perhaps be the area .

found some old flat head nails , which I had found on that lot years ago and part of an old spoon in one hole .

then in a second nearby hole , more old nails , some sort of metal item and parts of broken red bricks , which obviously don't belong in a pine forest unless there was something else here years ago

20200510_132143.jpg

20200510_134020.jpg
20200510_143317.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler