tumbling a bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

T D

Reaction score
The necks are always the hardest to clean. You probably need a little more copper. If you hold you bottle horizontally with the copper in it, the copper ought to be spilling into the neck toward the top. It should look like it is half full (or a little more) looking at it horizontally. Trial and error.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks TD. I had the bottle 2/3 full of copper, After I posted this I put some acid in the bottle for a few minutes and rinsed it out then dried it and the bottle does not show the line anymore. I think it was some compound that I failed to remove from the neck area which made it look like it not enough copper was reaching the neck. The bottle looks the same from top to bottom now.Thanks again, Kevin......

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello, Yes....... I have another question to ask if anyone has ever tried a stainless steel shot that is used for blasting aluminum and other soft metals ? Size is ( 70 - 100 mesh ) or ( .004'' - .012'' ). This is used instead of glass beads due to it has more weight and lasts up to 1000 times longer than glass beads. I know people have asked about using steel shot but it will rust was the answer given, so does steel shot work for tumbling but causes rust during the process ? Or has it never been tried due to the rust factor ? The reason I am asking this question is I have tumbled about 20 bottles some inside only and some in and outside and I can see wear to the # 14 cut copper wire already. I see no wear to the ceramic pellets which I have used for at least double the hours as a cut before adding copper and 1500 grit and 3-micron to obtain the finish I am looking for. The cost for 30 lbs. of stainless shot is about $ 140.00 free shipping and my cost for # 12 cut copper is $ 190.00 for 30 lbs. I KNOW copper works great as everyone here said it would but if the stainless shot will work I am sure it would last a lot longer as long as I can get the same results as copper. Thanks for any feedback !! Kevin......

epackage

Reaction score
Steel is too hard a metal is my understanding Kevin...

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Your copper should last a long time, it is not a expense you will experience every other year or so. I have been using the same copper for over ten years.

chosi

Reaction score
I've had my copper for 6 years now, and lately I've noticed some of the pieces are so worn down that they're starting to fit through the holes in the screen colander I use to rinse the copper off with. I may have to buy new copper someday.

Chelvis

Reaction score
I'm curious. How long ago was it that folks started tumbling bottles?

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese