Twisted aqua bottle 2 ft. tall!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Book N Curio Shoppe

Reaction score
Hi!

Just remembered I do have photos of a rather large bottle I picked up at a garage sale. I’ve looked everywhere, books, websites etc. and can’t find anything like this piece. The seller said she had bought it years ago at a flea market. It’s 2 ft. tall and weighs 13.5 lbs. I’m sending jpg’s of the bottom, top and full length view. I know it’s blown glass as it’s full of bubbles. Any more info? Even if it’s not worth anything, it’s sure nice to look at! First the full view. (I tried to composite these, till I figure it out, have to use a few more posts.) After this I have to hit the sack!
CSJ

Ig11449.jpg

Attachments

• Ig11449.jpg
    Ig11449.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 129

Book N Curio Shoppe

Reaction score
and finally the lip. There is a seam in it, although that's not twisted!

Mj24619.jpg

Attachments

• Mj24619.jpg
    Mj24619.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Mj24619.jpg
    Mj24619.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 105

Book N Curio Shoppe

Reaction score
OK...Anyone have a clue? How old, who made it? I've had it a couple years.
Thanks! CSJ
[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi CSJ, I think you have posted the oddest bottle this forum has ever seen[8|] Well, at least since I've been here anyway.[;)] Although you posted some great pics, it's still a little difficult to determine a few things, 1. is the bottom flat, or concave?, 2. You say there's a seam, but does it go up through the lip? I'm inclined to speculate this might be a fantacy bottle by a contemporary artist, but that's a guess on my part.[8D] My father was involved in some urban renewal/demolition back in the 60s in Poughkeepsie, and he brought home some great bottles. I'll post a picture of one of them that's particularly crude at a later date. I have to find the picture on my disks, but like you, I have to hit the sack too! ( Hey I'm a poet and don't even know it)[:D]

Oh, by the way, were you aware that you're writing in BOLD?[;)] My nephew says you're shouting at us![:D].

vtspring

Reaction score
VERY UNUSUAL BOTTLE! I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE THAT IT IS A PIECE OF ART. ITS THE FIRST ONE I CAN RECALL SEEING.IM WONDERING IF IT COULD BE MEXICAN MADE????[>:]THEN AGAIN IT LOOKS LIKE IT COULD HAVE SOME AGE TO IT..HMMMMMMMMM

Book N Curio Shoppe

Reaction score
To Maine Digger:

I chose Arial at font size three. Does it look bold? Sorry! I'll leave it tiny!

The bottom is flat, the glass is very thick, too. Yes, looks old to me, too. There is a seam but the lip appears to be applied last as the two seams don't match. There are no ID marks of any kind. I would think an artist would want to sign it in some way, so was wondering if it was some glass blowers "fun piece". You know, like a test piece!

VT Spring: any idea where I might post this for the artsy type to see if they recognize this?OK, I'm off to work. [:(]
CSJ

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi CSJ, no apology was necessary, I just thought you might not be aware how your messages were being posted.[:)]

bigkitty53

Reaction score
CSJ,
Is the body seam twisted or does it run straight top to bottom?The picture of the bottle's base certainly looks like the bottle was molded in that shape and not re-heated and manipulated later.Making a mold in that shape would suggest an 'artsy' mass-produced bottle(Mexican,as vtspring suggests?),as it lacks the most important requirement for a commercial bottle-no where to put a label!(Not to mention at size and weight it would be hell to stack on shelves![8D]

Definately an unusual bottle,however it was made!

KAT

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem