Two hours in the Maine woods..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi All, I had a couple hours free time after work today and put the old jeep in 4 wheel drive and went down back behind this old house to visit the pre 1900 cellar holes... Nothing fantastic but thought you all might like to see! Two un -embossed medicines One whiskey with paper still attached to lip.... no embossing other then a D at the base.... A good ole Johnsons liniment, A classic Foss extract.... A Maltese cross canning jar lid ,and a amber insulator... I also found some broken case gin bottles.... Well for now Happy spring and good digg'n.....Taz

Xv65168.jpg

Attachments

• Xv65168.jpg
    Xv65168.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 62

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Taz, it was a good day to be in the Maine woods today wasn't it![:)] After my wife and I finished up moving around perrenials, we decided to go hit a site I dug last year. Our results were like yours, nothing spectacular but we had fun. We came back with 15 mason jar lids, one of which is vasaline glass, an unembossed whiskey, a few plain meds. But there was 2 interesting finds, a small 2'' tall, 1-1/2'' square aqua bottle that reads Dr. O. Phelps Brown on one panel, Jersey City N.J. on the other. The other bottle which we both love is a Mason Qt. size aqua jar that appears to be ABM, due to seams and screw lid, but the glass is filled with ripples, lots of bubbles, the seams are indented, concave base that looks older than the base of some of the 1850/60 utilities I have. The embossing reads WAN - ETA in a slight frown over COCOA over BOSTON.

Edit- I just found the Wan Eta on Hathaways Fruit Jar site - nice 'rarer' jar[:)]

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Morning Norm, yes the wan-eta is a classic! We have one of each but we got them with the golden pick, we bought them! Much better to find them in the field...Hey Norm you didnt happen to make the Fairfield, Me. auction this week did you? They had quite a few flasks and inks. The stoddard flag flask went for 7,500 k ouch! lol I settled for a pair of choice Harrisons inx a 2" and 1 1/2" Well off to work to support the habit! [:)]

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Good morning to you Jim, no I didn't make the auction. To be honest, I've only purchased about 5 bottles, my 'collection' is either dug or traded for. The wan-eta was especially a fun find because when I uncovered it (about 8'' deep) it was resting right against a watermellon sized rock. How it escaped being broken is beyond me. The one I did find broken was a cobalt blue, with a very large capital H down towards the base, on the other side it appears that it was embossed Grenwich Conn. Ring any bells? I found that across the old abandoned road next to the site we were working on the way home. I'm going back because I suspect the older dump is on the other side of the road now. That reminds me of a joke, Why did the chicken cross the road?......[8D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster