Two questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Cansman81

Reaction score
Hi, I have a few questions to ask. I am not a bottle collector, but dug up an embossed Utica Club bottle while digging for old beer cans the other day. Can someone give me a date on it? I do find bottles occasionally when I dump for cans, so if anyone wants to trade bottles for some rusty cans, that would be awesome. Also if anyone does find Rusty cans cone tops or flats opened with a churchkey, I'd be more than happy to pay for the shipping and time spent saving them for me. I'll keep an eye out for bottles now, I didn't realize how many people collected them. I find a lot of old milk bottles dumping for cans as well. Does anybody collect these?

P.S. I remember working a summer youth employment job about 10 years ago and digging up tons of really old bottles. I almost want to say early 1900's maybe late 1800's. The supervisor told me that it used to be an old bottle dump at one time. It was in Boukville, NY.

Cansman81

Reaction score
Hey Dave, cool website. This is a really neat forum too. I'm enjoying looking at all of the cool finds and dump pictures.

I collect any can no matter how rusty Canadian or US, as long as it's a cone top (like dry gas), or flat top opened with an opener. I used to collect pull tabs and stay tabs until I ran out of room to put everything. So I decided to specialize in cones and flats. Someday I plan to start collecting tab tops again, but not until I can afford a large area to display them in. Most of my cans have been dug up and cleaned in oxalic or citric acid which cleans them enough to display.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Mike,

Welcome to the board, I'm kinda like you I don't collect cans, but when you run across something that's to good the throw back I keep in my good junk pile.LOL[:D].

I ran across a couple of cone tops a few years ago Fallstaff I think. Quite rusty but no dents, or holes. I can post a pic if you're interested. Could you post pics of your bottles? It's hard to date something without seeing it especially stuff around the turn of the century 1900. The bottle world went through a big change about that time.

Here's the pic:

Us54193.jpg

Attachments

• Us54193.jpg
    Us54193.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 57

Cansman81

Reaction score
Jason, I am from upstate NY.

CC6pack, Nice cones. I do have that can in my collection, and those are the type that I collect. What's interesting about those, is that they were one of the last cone top brands to be produced in the 50's. A pretty common can, but still a goodie. If you don't want them I'll send you the shipping and I can use them for traders, if not either hold on to them or ebay them. Might get a couple bucks for em. Anyways if I find any old bottles, I'll send em your way if you want for the cones. I have been doing a lot of digging and will continue to do so until about May or so, then back to it again in the fall. Do you guys collect soda bottles, from the 50's and before? I come across a lot of those.

I just found out about the bottle that I found from another forum because my pic was too big to post on here. They said that it was from the 20's during prohibition and was used for soda instead of beer.

I found a dump today, pretty large and all the bottles were from around the 50's. There weren't too many salvagable cans either, but I did find two Old Rangers in rough shape.
Take Care, Mike aka Cansman81

Cansman81

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my cans from the 30's to 60's

http://community.webshots.com/album/547426765swkcML

cc6pack

Reaction score
Mike,

Thanks for the info on the cans, always willing to learn. I thought they were older than that.

Send the postage and they are yours. With ebay fees the way they are now if you can't list something for at least $10 it ain't worth it to me. I can send you my address or PayPal account which ever you prefer.

I mainly collect the older Coke bottles or some patent meds. in the 1880-90's range. Mostly the ones connected to Pemberton or Candler.

Take care Dennis

Cansman81

Reaction score
Dennis, cool man! I'll send you an email to exchange adresses. I don't have a paypal account, but I can just send you a check for the shipping. thanks again, Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday