TYPE OF PONTIL?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi tom, that is a interesting looking vessel you have there! I would be inclined to think Bruce is on the right track. I found this old lamp 20 ft down when the excavator was digging along the old railroad track( no hand attached to it) lol It is not a pretty as yours but it does have the sheared ground top no pontil or pimple in the bottom of this one though... Taz

Qo39246.jpg

olddump

Reaction score
This is posible because at one time there was a handle of some sort on this [if you look in the last pic you can see where it has been broken off] that too had me confused. A HANDLE ON AN INK? Now after you guys input it is probably a lamp thanks. Now from this angle I'll see if I can figure out why the flat glass bar through the bottom.
The shape of this made me think ink but it is also a great shape for a lamp as it would be hard to flip over. So thanks again and good lookin.
Tom, Olddump

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Harry! I'm not Bruce, I'm Sean. We know each other sorta, we got in a "discussion" about the meaning of applied lip once [:)] Good to see you here!

Amblypygi are extant animals called whip spiders, I have a few as pets. I didn't realize there was an echinoid Genus that was so close, that's interesting. Here's one:

Sean

Us54376.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Us54376.jpg
    Us54376.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 75

deepwoods

Reaction score
Wow! - And I thought holding something old in your hand meant a big,open pontil-that creature dosnt look like its evolved in 50 mil yrs..I know it would give my wife and daughter multiple,concurrent coronaries!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hello, Sean . . .

Sorry for the name confusion, I am easily confused these past couple of days! Dental work and pain-killers!

I hope our past discourse was civil (I don't really remember it). Your name was strangely familiar, though. I thought it might be from some fossil-collecting association.

The echinoid is Amblypygus americanus, a large urchin which is (in my experience) difficult to find.

I have not seen a "whip spider" in the wild. I did find one of those whip scorpions (a "vinegaroon") on the road one night in West Texas while looking for snakes. It was so bizarre-looking, I didn't want to handle it, though I know intellectually it is not dangerous. I did get some pictures. These critters will never replace hamsters!

---------------Harry Pristis

Maine Digger

Reaction score
No, not 'fluffy' I'm guessing it's name is SPIKE![:D] That's what i really like about the Forum, you never know what's going to surface. That does it Harry, I'm convinced you were the neighbor behind the fence in the television citcom 'Home Improvement", you know the guy who never showed his face, but had an incredible wealth of knowledge.[8|]

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.