U.S.A. Hospital Dept.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JustGlass

Reaction score
I ran across this in a antique shop a while back. It was priced at $475.00 and although I liked it the price was to high for my liking. I did some research and one civil war museum told me it was authentic and to purchase it because they are rare and hard to find. They had one in their collection that looks identical. Other civil war collectors had no opinion and some collectors I talk to say that they are old but not authentic to the civil war. I was told that these were not for transporting bottle and were made for bandages. All the details of the box are consistant with the type of workmanship of that period. I ran across this box again the other day. It was priced at $125.00 and Im sure the dealer would probably take $100.00. I still have my eye on it but if it was real to the civil war it would have sold by now. Anyone have any info on this box ?

0E711C11D6E04E07843FBD3B56082F86.jpg

Attachments

• 0E711C11D6E04E07843FBD3B56082F86.jpg
    0E711C11D6E04E07843FBD3B56082F86.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 77

GuntherHess

Reaction score
to me the lettering doesn't seem right for Civil War.
I would expect the lettering to be stenciled.
Seems fabricated or at least modified.
If it was proven authentic it would be worth many times that price.
Just my opinion for what its worth.

beendiggin

Reaction score
I thought we went over this one before. Was this the same box that was seen in a previous post?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
yes, seen that one. Does it have any provenance?
Maybe it doesn't look military because its a sutler supplied item (but then it shouldn't have USA HOSP DEPT on it, should it?).
Its hard to really judge things like that by a photo.
If you got $125 to blow you can have either a great rare item or a neat coffee table.

JustGlass

Reaction score
I know where you are coming from. I bought a e.g. booze cabin bottle for $ 63.00 that I had no knowledge of it athenticy. I took a chance and it paid off. Dealer didn't know what she had and to tell the truth I didn't either until I got it home and research it. Problem with this is I can't get any clear cut info so once again it's a gamble. And there is so much fake civil war stuff on the market today and it kills the prices on the real stuff. Same thing is happening with indian artifacts and other collectables. If I can get it for $75.00 I will use it to store my ammo.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Its cool enough origins unknown that you should be able to get at least $100 from Civil War reenactors even if not real.
So not a lot of risk at that price.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
I can't tell from the pic., but if it is from the Civil War, you've got quite a piece. I've debated the U.S.A. Hosp. Dept. items before, after the Civil War, similar items were marked U.S.A. Med. Dept. I have extensively researched Civil War items and I have worked with a museum on Civil War items, so my background is unquestionale.

Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler