uncovered another mystery local bottler when trying to research other existing locals

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
was at the local library as they have an extensive local history collection and have a lot of the old newspapers on rolls you can view on computer even going back as far as early 1900's . was trying to come up with any info I could find on the mineral springs bottler I had mentioned in a previous post but found nothing . I did however make an intriguing discovery of another bottler previously unheard of and unlisted in any bottle books . I only found 1 add in a Huntsville forester newspaper from june 1910 but its very clear whoever this guy was he was in the beverage business that summer . here is the add " summer drinks by the case "Mr Charles Paulley is contributing his full share in making the sultry summer days enjoyable, by furnishing on shortest notice all the latest cool and refreshing summer drinks. fresh from his manufacturing plant . householders , tourists, camping parties - anyone. may have a case of this appetising refreshment sent to their door. by applying to mr Paulley , who is always on the job . so this add leaves may unanswered questions ? if he was located in this area where was his manufacturing plant ? was he associated with the other bottler or independent ? if he was selling by the case such large quanities why have I never heard of him before or seen a bottle ? would a bottle have his name on it if I were to ever find one ? the only info online I could find on a Charles Paulley was a record that indicated he was a member of WW1 Canadian regiment from muskoka which was created around 1915 a few years after this add was posted , however it did not say if he came back from the war or was killed in action . ( the local museum has on display a ww1 exhibit for 100th anniversary of ww1 and many items from local regiment so I may check in there and see if they have any more info on him )

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
"Rolls you can view on computer"-- what are they called? Are they like Micro-films?

I've found, in many old papers, a major exaggeration of facts they (advertisers) present to boost their appearance to potential money-bags-- I mean buyers! [:D] Same goes for trying to make one person look so angelic and such, whereas they make the other person appear to be the devil.

Mr. Paulley likely failed early, and he likely had generic bottles which didn't survive well and don't sell well.

RCO

Reaction score
I guess they were called micro films although they said they hope to have them on digital format at some point . I've looked at them once before its odd what made it in newspaper back then and come across some odd stuff .since I don't know enough about this bottler I don't know if he really was making his own pop or how big or modern his facility was or if he was selling it by the case or not . we really don't know all we know for sure as back in summer of 1910 he was selling some sort of beverages in bottles or the add never would of been placed in paper .I also notice around here , due to the seasonal nature of the economy businesses come and go rather quickly , its not uncommon for a new store to open up near start of summer and be gone completely by winter . so his venture might of been something similar and maybe didn't last that long

sunrunner

Reaction score
well here is my experience in how bottles worked . with very little capital , you cud set up a bottling plant. By 1910 the equipment was readily available ether to buy used or rent. The syrup, fruit juice cud be purchased in bulk for very little , and also the bottles cud also be gotten in the same way ether used or new. Now all you have to do so print up a few labels and your in business. In tourist towns business come and go . It may be possible he just wanted to make a quick buck , or he was in it for a little wile than sold out . and never had private molds for his bottles made.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26