Underwater Cornucopia Flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Ok you guys...

I guess because the ground up here is frozen, us "Lung fish" will have to fullfill your needs... your desires for glass![&:]

Here is a nice Cornucopia/Urn 1/2 pint that was found in the area that I refer to as "Flask alley"!!! I have found a good number of Stoddard flasks, including a Granite Glass Co, a Double Eagle, aThis flask was not actually found by me [X(] Stoddard Horshoe, many seam sided and strap sided flasks over the past year or so...

This Cornucopia, was found in the same general area (and just so you know, it is relatively close to where the U.S.S. Constitution was overhauled after the Civil War)[:-]

This flask was not actually found by me [&o]... I brought my friend Rick Carney out for a dive and we both jumped into the water. I took a compass bearing and unrolled my 100' search line with him right behind me. He then tapped me on the shoulder and held the flask up! I must have kicked the silt off the top of the bottle with my fins!!!

Of course, he had to rub my nose in it, "I can't believe you swam right over it!!" Well, I ended up with it afte a few months, I cried and cried on his shoulder, begged him and when I told him I would give him my first born (16 year old daughter) He couldn't give me the bottle fast enough!!![&:]

Anyway, here it is...

Ge96271.jpg

Attachments

• Ge96271.jpg
    Ge96271.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 69

slimdigger

Reaction score
Wayne, Did you have that one tumbled or did it come out of the water that way. Alot of the bottles that I have seen that are found in the local rivers come out just about mint . All you have to do is run a little copper around in them and wioe the outsides off.
A nice piece. I almost bought one at the last bottle show in aqua. At the time I did not know that the aqua variant is considered rare. Bruce

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Man I really really need to start diving.... VERY NICE flask by the way.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Slim...

No, this one has not been tumbled! It came out of the salt water with barnacle growth and limpets and it was put into the "Soup" (muriatic acid solution) it was then soaked in fresh water and rinsed off... This is what it looks like now...

It comes out this good because it is a STODDARD!! This glasshouse, Keene and many New England glass houses used excellent materials, dug locally, to create their batches and form their glass. That is one of the reasons that Stoddard, Keene and other New England glasshouse pieces are so collectable!!!

When this one or the Double Eagle is held up to the bright sun , especially in the bright winter sunlight, reflected off the fresh snow... ( 15" worth) the tiny "seed" bubbles look like little diamonds!! These are truly beautiful pieces![&:]

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
We don't get that kind of stuff down here but once in a great blue moon. [&o]The Spanish used poorly fired pottery that crumbles with time, God knows what the French used and the British bought all there stuff from the Spanish and French.[X(] You guys up north are killin me.[:eek:] But it was in the high 60s here today.[sm=lol.gif] Great flask Wayne. I'm always hopefull.[:)]

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi southern maine diver, do you give diving lesson? i can't believe all the great things you have found. i have found all these old fondation but can't find the old bottles. they must have toss them in the river. i don't know if i be brave enought to get in this river? maybe i could get a little boat and find a way to dreag (sp) the bottom. i have to wait to the ice melts anyway. keep posting your great finds. rhona

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson