Unexpected dive find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

adshepard

Reaction score
I've done hundreds of dives off the old steamship wharf and found plenty of bottles, clay pipes and assorted goodies but this year I came up with something I've never found before. It's in relatively poor condition but here is an old lead fishing lure. The hook has long rotted off as has the place you tie the line too but otherwise it is recognizable as a lure.

A1B10875A4B949BB873A5339F8E0B2DF.jpg

I find regular old lead weights fairly often but this is the first lure.

Alan

Attachments

• A1B10875A4B949BB873A5339F8E0B2DF.jpg
    A1B10875A4B949BB873A5339F8E0B2DF.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 87

adshepard

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

Cool what do you think the date of that thing is?

I have a hard enough time dating bottles never mind fishing lures. It's going to take a bit of research.

Alan

epackage

Reaction score
Could be from a mold sold to the masses for making jigs at home....

botlguy

Reaction score
I doubt it's a lure. I fish as often as possible, 3 or 4 times a week, and have never seen a solid lead lure. What is it's size? That will give a better clue as to it's use. I have a down rigger weight shaped somewhat like a fish but it weighs 10 pounds and has no detail like yours so it probably isn't that. It is perhaps a weight to get line down to a desired level. What does it weigh?

If it's solid lead one would have to troll way too fast to keep it moving & attract fish. Also, most lures are made to resemble a moving and / or injured fish. This thing would just go straight and tend to sink fast.

I'm very interested in knowing more about it and acquiring it if it were available.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

I doubt it's a lure. I fish as often as possible, 3 or 4 times a week, and have never seen a solid lead lure. What is it's size? That will give a better clue as to it's use. I have a down rigger weight shaped somewhat like a fish but it weighs 10 pounds and has no detail like yours so it probably isn't that. It is perhaps a weight to get line down to a desired level. What does it weigh?

If it's solid lead one would have to troll way too fast to keep it moving & attract fish. Also, most lures are made to resemble a moving and / or injured fish. This thing would just go straight and tend to sink fast.

I'm very interested in knowing more about it and acquiring it if it were available.
It would be a jig Jim, we use them all the time here in NJ when saltwater fishing...

adshepard

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

It's about 3 inches long. It definetly has rusted away spots where a hook/eye would have been both in the front and back.

It is certainly available. Just emial me

Alan

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Cool Alan. I find lots of lead used as anchors and weights but nothing like that. Neat.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles