Unlisted Size Mason's Patent Jar or Repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Picked up a nice colored Teal half gallon jar. Mason's Patent etc. Has a ground lip. I looked it up in the Red Book and it is only shown as a pint and a quart. This jar is half gallon, if it is old, and it looks old, it is an unlisted size. However, the book in the repro section lists a Emerald Jar as one of the fantasy jars made in the early 70's. But this jar to me in not green enough to be considered Emerald, it is more Teal to me.

I have attached a Pic below. However, the flash from the pic shows the jar much more greener and brighter than when looking at it in person. I placed a Ball Blue HG to one side and a aqua pint to the others side to compare colors. To me the color of this Jar is TEAL!

My questions to any one out there are: Is this old or repro? How can you tell the difference?

Any Help Would Be Appreciated, Thanks, Lee

2B696766C16C41A8B5874140B2DF8098.jpg

Attachments

• 2B696766C16C41A8B5874140B2DF8098.jpg
    2B696766C16C41A8B5874140B2DF8098.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 75

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Are you comparing it to a, say, a Rumford bottle. It could just be a shade off from the apple green. The photo can be deceptive so I can't really tell.

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi Lee,

Pretty jar and defintely NOT a repro. :eek:)

Colors can be subjective to the viewer; we all see color a wee bit differently because of the cones in the eyes. And jars appear differently under different lighting conditions. And computer monitors are also all slightly different. But my opinion of what I see in your jar is that it is some shade of teal, like you say. Check out this page and it may help some.

http://www.hoosierjar.com/colorguide.html

Bob Clay

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Thanks Bob for the site with colors, after looking at it I would say it is Teal, but more on the green side not the blue. If this is true, this is an unlisted jar because the Red Book only shows Teal in Quarts and Pints. Do you have a email address for Douglas M. Leybourne, Jr so I can send him a pic? This is one of three unlisted Jars I just picked up on a trip up north. Not a bad find.

Lee

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi Lee,

I have seen a few of the "teal" examples that were high priced and they were extremely dark examples. Two a green teal and one a blue teal. Absolutely knock yer socks off colors.

Doug's address is in the front of the Redbook for those that have it. For those that don't, here it is:

Douglas M. Leybourne, Jr.
P.O. Box 5417
North Muskegon, MI 49445

Redbook #10 is due out sometime later this year.

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH