UNUSUAL BEER BOTTLE???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Gotcha Kelly, I have heard people call them Belfasts because that is whats on alot of the ones dug around here. I had a buddy that had a fence 3' high and about 12' long aruond some flowers in his yard. Sold them all foe a buck each just before he sold the house.

fritzycaptain

Reaction score
THANKS FOR ALL OF THE COMMENTS!! THE BOTTLE IS 9 1/4 IN TALL, THE SEAM ENDS ABOUT 1 1/2 INCHES FROM TOP, AND THERE ARE SEVERAL REAL NEAT BUBBLES. IM GOING TO LOOK INTO THE MAUGHAM-CARRARA WATER-HAMILTON LEAD. I'LL POST WHAT I FIND OUT. AGAIN, THANKS ALL!!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Fritzy, I do not believe yours to be a Maugham nor a Hamilton. My reference was to the pic Capsoda put up. In my opinion, your bottle is a torpedo. You're also correct in the reason they laid on their side. If the cork dried out, it would shrink and the beverage would lose carbonation. Hope this helps, Kelley

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Cap, I've only dug one myself and it too was a Belfast & Cochran. Even though they're not that rare, I sure would have liked to have that guys fence![:D] Kelley

IRISH

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum fritzycaptain,
Your bottle is a torpedo also known as a Hamilton, they almost always held soda water but sometimes lemonade, there is even one coming up for sale with preserved milk embossed on it [;)] .

They date from the early 1800's right up till the early 1900's, your one would be from the 1870's to 1900 era.

capsoda

Reaction score
Ok, I get it. A torpedo made from a beer keg after the shape of a bottle.

Hey Toby, Great info. Ive only seen a few dug around here.
What are the plane ones worth? How do you tell how old they are?

Does anyone know if any were produced in the US?

Xv64236.jpg

Attachments

• Xv64236.jpg
    Xv64236.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 36

IRISH

Reaction score
Plain torp's are not worth much, $5 or so although I've sold a plain goldfields age one for about $30.
The really early ones have a pontil scarred base, after that most of them from the 1840's or so have a wrap top instead of a blob and vary a lot in "pointyness" and shape, then the normal ones that don't vary much at all in dimensions date mostly from after the early 1870's. There is a good deal of crossing over of shapes and styles though, that's just a really rough guide.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen