Unusual dive find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks Rory. Plumb found the same mention in the 1912 American Machinist. It really does help date things a bit. Thanks again!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Plumb. Where did you find this info???
ORIGINAL: Plumbata
The company occupied 1 building and had a grand total of 3 male employees as of June 30th of 1910. They were manufacturers of: "Clinkers row boats canoes launches and special kinds".

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks tftfan for the picture of that boat. I have one almost like that with the roof and fringe of flapping canvas. Mine has a water cooled Model T motor in it and wicker seats for the driver, and two double seats in back for four passengers. Neat antiques. RED Matthews

Plumbata

Reaction score
Hey Bob, thanks for the extra pics. Looks like something from the rear of a boat to me. That bolt may have anchored the top part of a rudder shaft on a sailboat or something. Maybe a visit to a nautical/antique boat forum would get you some more definitive answers.

Alrighty...

"Place to Buy Boats Before buying elsewhere come and inspect the fine line of boats at our factory Clinkers row boats canoes launches and special kinds EASTERN BOAT BUILDING CO Pewaukee"

Is from a digitized 1910 newspaper, right here: http://newspaperarchive.com/waukesha-freeman/1910-06-09/page-11

The employee stats are from this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ul8KAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA698&lpg=PA698&dq=%22eastern+boat+building+co%22&source=bl&ots=rTuEMVobBB&sig=bRMjr6uaU5p36UR-DWyTwNB1QsU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xX9YUuKrAaaOyAG5lIDICg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22eastern%20boat%20building%20co%22&f=false

All I did was search through google with quotes "eastern boat building co" and that's it. Sometimes less is more when trying to find info. Adding "Pewaukee" to the search string was rather counterproductive.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks again Plumb! Great stuff. Haven't heard back from the historical society yet and no-one locally seems to know a thing. This company is long forgotten.

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: blobbottlebob

Great advice Sand. I have already lemon oiled it once. I will do so again as it dries out a bit. It should suck that stuff right up when it's a little drier and that will help it hold it's shape. Without the oil, though, it would shrink to a tiny fraction of it's original size.

Passing on what somebody told me, "Every day for a week, every week for a month, every month for a year, and every year forever."

rpinkham

Reaction score
The new photos show it was not oarlock or lashing block related. The wood looks like locust so it probably will survive without much oiling. Still a mystery?

Was unable to access this site for a few days...anyone else have trouble?

Happy diving!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter