Unusual dive find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
I don't really know, but the strange thing is how the brass plate is laid over that cut-out section. It's hard for me to imagine how that would have been a functionally necessary feature on a pier/dock. All I can come up with is that it was the rearmost block of wood on a ruddered or "Special Kind" of boat. I could see part of the rudder apparatus fitting inside/below that block and behind the plate, but it's a stretch. Any holes drilled in the top of the wood or other evidence of nails or anything not visible in the picture?

Maybe it was just some junk wood from a scrapped project that floated away from the shop during a storm/flood situation before the plate could be recovered, if it was even a concern. All I can do is speculate, but speculation is fun. Cool find whatever the story is. [:)]

adshepard

Reaction score
That is an awesome historical find! It should display nicely.

Alan

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

I'd say you found a pretty important historical artifact. Perhaps not earth shaking but I hope the locals give you more help and show more interest than the jerks in my home town. I can't find any cooperation.
Good Luck with your research, it's as exciting to dig up information as it is to dig artifacts, or at least should be IMO.
Thanks Botlguy.
I have some history with the local historical society and thought of them right away. I have volunteered at several of their summer ice-cream socials, setting up a booth, giving away bottles and talking to people. I also appeared at one of their meetings and gave a half hour speech to the 20 or 30 people assembled. They know who I am and I think they would also be interested in this local history.

adshepard

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: blobbottlebob

Thanks Alan. Are you still diving?

Hoping to head out for a couple this weekend. Next week I have surgery scheduled for my neck (removing some bad discs) so I'll be stuck on land for a bit.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Good luck with the surgery. I assume that there's some serious recovery time with that, so you'll probably be dry until next year. That means you gotta find a bunch of stuff over the weekend. Best of luck (both on the surgery & on the dive).

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
So far I have discussed this with a few bottle experts. No one yet has heard of the company locally. There is a neat little design on both sides of the word EASTERN. Hopefully this shot shows it a bit.

7F54D2C42BBC47AFBB6E4CAAEDABCDB0.jpg

Attachments

• 7F54D2C42BBC47AFBB6E4CAAEDABCDB0.jpg
    7F54D2C42BBC47AFBB6E4CAAEDABCDB0.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 74

rpinkham

Reaction score
There's something vaguely familiar with your excellent find. Are the dimensions available?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Rpink.
The brass tag itself measures just under 3 & 1/2 inches by 1 inch. I haven't measured the wood, but I will. The wood itself seems like it has deteriorated a bit. More pics of the chunk coming as well a later tonight.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93