Unusual dive find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
On Tuesday, I went to one of my favorite dive spots over the years - Pewaukee Lake. I have over 500 tanks in there. I have pulled out a lot of stuff but I never found anything like this.

Earlier in the year, I lost access to my entry area. Years ago, I signed a waiver releasing the local association from any liability over what might happen to me diving. I assumed every risk in the waiver. Unfortunately, they buy insurance and their agent advised them not to let anyone use their access. So, I was recently asked not to go there anymore.

On Tuesday then, I went to a restaurant's overflow parking area. I used to do that, but the area is now a little picked over so, it is hard to find anything there. But it works as access to the water - you just have to swim out away to find anything. So, I suited up and crossed the road with all my gear on. I walked into the water which is getting cooler now. Once I figured that I was far enough, I began to scour the bottom for bottles. I could tell that I was in a good area as I was finding old shoes, broken drinking glasses, and household debris. I was not however, finding any bottles. I weaved in from shallow to deeper - in and out relative to the shore. I was prying boards out of the mucky bottom (then feeling around for bottles that were wedged between and around them). This creates a mucky cloud about me as I stir things up (not unlike pig-pen from the Peanuts cartoons). I had some wood pieces in my hand that I was moving when I noticed a flash of bright brass. I looked and realized that there was a brass tag on the wood. At first, I thought that it was just resting there and that it was a freak chance that it did not fall off the boards when I pulled it out. Then, I noticed that it was nailed on one side.

Right away, I thought that this was pretty cool. When I got to the surface to check it out, I realized that it was locally made. The brass has stamped into it EASTERN / BOAT BUILDING CO. / PEWAUKEE, WIS. I have never heard of a Pewaukee boat builder (from long ago). This is a great piece of local history!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
As you can tell, the wood is super saturated - totally waterlogged. This chunk weighs several pounds. There is a bolt going through the chunk with a washer on the top. Check it out.

007200B12FB943C5BB715917BDEA3322.jpg

Attachments

• 007200B12FB943C5BB715917BDEA3322.jpg
    007200B12FB943C5BB715917BDEA3322.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 86

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Trying again bigger.

F3494FC568F94F40A491FCD55C7F34DE.jpg

Attachments

• F3494FC568F94F40A491FCD55C7F34DE.jpg
    F3494FC568F94F40A491FCD55C7F34DE.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 70

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I am trying to learn more about this company and I have contacted the Pewaukee Area Historical Society. The president is looking for information. I can find nothing about it online - so far.

Some of the questions I have. Do you think this came off of a boat? Was it on a pier post? Was the post from the company's dock or something.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Needless to say, I was looking at every board - every piece of scrap wood after that. Nothing else turned up. Any ideas or input is appreciated. Thanks, Bob

botlguy

Reaction score
I'd say you found a pretty important historical artifact. Perhaps not earth shaking but I hope the locals give you more help and show more interest than the jerks in my home town. I can't find any cooperation.
Good Luck with your research, it's as exciting to dig up information as it is to dig artifacts, or at least should be IMO.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Real nifty find, I like how old brass comes out looking like gold when in relatively anoxic conditions.

The company occupied 1 building and had a grand total of 3 male employees as of June 30th of 1910. They were manufacturers of: "Clinkers row boats canoes launches and special kinds". In the March 7th, 1912 issue of the weekly "American Machinist" it states that the Milwaukee Yacht and Boat Co. was incorporated with 20,000 to take over the operations of the Eastern Boat Building Co.

I'd say it came off a boat of some sort, and is from 1912 at the latest. Google "Eastern Boat Building Co." and all this info will be easily accessible. I wonder if you found a boat that sank in a storm or something? If you go back and find a purse or two full of gold eagles be sure to post them up! [:)]

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks Plumb. I couldn't find a lick of anything online. Great info. I am going to Google it after I reply. I knew it had to be fairly old. I'd believe 100 years. Don't think there was a sunken ship there. Or if there was, evidence is long gone. I still wonder about their use of the word 'launches'. Could this have been off of a pier post???

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn