USA Hosp. Dept.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
This is the only one I ever dug in a privy.I never even found shard of one in pits after this one.

422AA4C16B5D4A4FB6861D4B88685E96.jpg

Attachments

• 422AA4C16B5D4A4FB6861D4B88685E96.jpg
    422AA4C16B5D4A4FB6861D4B88685E96.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 84

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Phil, U.S.A. Hosp. Dept bottles were only made for 4 years. You are right, they were used as hold over bottles. That's one reason they are a scarce bottle. (notice I did not say rare, as people's definition of Scarce,Rare, and Common differ greatly.) Made 4 years and used plumb up to almost the turn of the century in Indian Wars Forts and such. Survival rate has got to be lower than most bottles. The bottle you traded for is actually a little more scarce than most of the U.S.A. Hosp. Dept bottles. You just don't see them everyday and the one you have looks to be a fine example! Also, the one Oldtimer listed as a link is a little more scarce AQUA version than you would normally see. Most of the AQUA quart's have the straight line U.S.A. not the arched version of the letters U.S.A. These are just tidbits I have learned after being lucky enough to dig 21 of these bottles with my diggin buddie. I have researched these bottles quite a bit because I love the history that goes with these bottles. I always love to see these bottles and I appreciate your post. Kelley

phil44

Reaction score
Kelly: I saw a post on another forum of some fellas who dug a CW camp dump or something. They found a bunch! Embossed and unembossed .You them?

The time is right to post a pic if you have one.

Rick I dug a Dr Jaynes Alterative with the same top as the one you found

digphilly

Reaction score
Phil,

Kev ever call you?

I have a billhead from a Philadelphia druggist that ordered 1/2 doz USA Hosp. bottles.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Phil, no that wasn't me. I bet that would have been a blast though. I dug all of mine at an Indian Wars fort here in Texas. They say every digger will have one "Motherlode." I'm quite certain that was mine. [;)] Kelley

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter