USA Hosp. Dept.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have dug quite a few of those out here in CA, both with and without the clear ground glass stoppers. We find mostly the larger sized ones and usually in olive green or amber. One was extremely crude and an odd pinkish color. I have not so much as dug a piece of a cobalt one, at least none that my feeble mind can recall.

phil44

Reaction score
Where do you dig them? In forts? Or in the yards. Alot of them ended up out west. I guess they went with the Army. I've read from supposed reliable sources they were only produced from 1863 to 65. I've read from others they went to 1870. There is alot of new interest now maybe something else will come out??? I saw somewhere that they think that some were blown in St Louis??? Would like to know why? Logical they would be there because alot of transportation went through.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Phil, that is a beautiful bottle. Congrats on your trade! The one I dug had its original ground glass stopper in it when I dug it. The U.S.A. Hosp. Dept. bottles were only made for the Union army for the years of the Civil War. You are correct that they were shipped out west to the forts during the Indian Wars. Most believe they were blown at 2 different places. Pittsburg and Baltimore. St. Louis was a possible 3rd site, but no substantial evidence to really support this. Hope this helps, Kelley

PS. The reason the one was pulled from the Grapentine auction was because it was dropped and brokem when better pictures were being taken of it. [&o]

44289B2238874A4BA77BEEC646B8ADCE.jpg

Attachments

• 44289B2238874A4BA77BEEC646B8ADCE.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 77

Oldtimer

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Gunsmoke47

PS. The reason the one was pulled from the Grapentine auction was because it was dropped and brokem when better pictures were being taken of it. [&o]

I KNEW it! I felt a grave disturbance in the force!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: phil44

Where do you dig them? In forts? Or in the yards. Alot of them ended up out west. I guess they went with the Army.  I've read from supposed reliable sources they were only produced from 1863 to 65. I've read from others they went to 1870. There is alot of new interest now maybe something else will come out??? I saw somewhere that they think that some were blown in St Louis???  Would like to know why? Logical they would be there because alot of transportation went through. 

All of the USA Hospitals we have found come from backyard privys. There are no forts around here that allow digging, but many fine bottles came from the Benecia Arsenal, a site that was dug long ago. I spoke to one of the diggers who spent the most time there on Friday and he told me about the type of pits that were typically found behind the quarters. Very interesting.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I dug a lot of Civil War hut sites and trash dumps from around 1861-1863 and never even found a shard from one of these. I would say the idea that they were late war is correct.

Stardust

Reaction score
what a beautiful bottle. Nice photo also. Thanks for the beautiful photo.

phil44

Reaction score
Thanks again folks, I'd love to dig any usa hosp! I've heard of them coming out of privies here in balt, philly and a guy I know dug one in a dump here.

I think these were holdovers bottles reutilized. Herndon bottles found one with a druggist label.

I'm wondering if the ones you've all found out west are ground inside the neck for the stopper? If any of you diggers find an extra correct stopper, I'd love to have a shot at it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter