USA Med'l Dept.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey ya'll, bout a year and a half ago Pitfinder and I were lucky enough to dig 21 USA HOSP DEPT bottles out of a military Indian Wars fort dump. We were of course ecstatic at our good fortune. Haven't found a pit anywhere as good as that again and probably never will. After a lot of reserch on the bottles, I came across a variant of this bottle in our own Mike Russell's "Collectors Guide To Civil War Bottles and Jars." I vowed to buy one if I ever came across one. It is a USA Med'l Dept. bottle made in the same time span as the Hosp Dept. bottles. Mike says it is much more scarce and this is the only one I have ever seen on E-Bay. To bad the only color is Aqua[&o] I bought it anyway.[:D] Happy Diggin, Kelley

Ca82002.jpg

Attachments

• Ca82002.jpg
    Ca82002.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 77

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
you got a decent deal there - I think I bidded on that one - the MED DEPT are a bit more scarce than the HOSP DEPT. Any base markings on that one?

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi Frank, no base markings. Just a flat based Key Hinge mold. Probably blown at Baltimore. This one's got a very small chip out of the top of the lip but it doesn't detract from it. It was pretty sick when it arrived, but a few days in the tumbler and it came out lookin good. Yeah, I didn't get a steal, but I thought 1/3 of book value was decent even with the small chip. Thanks for the reply, Kelley

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
Here's a HOSP. DEPT I got off ebay a couple years ago. It's a pale/cornflower blue (my camera doesn't do the color justice). The color & the glop top sold me on it.

Wu61330.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61330.jpg
    Wu61330.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 82

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Nice one Frank! Good thing I didn't see it or you probably would have ended up paying more for it LOL![:D] You don't see that type of lip too often on the Aqua pints. (That is a pint isn't it?) In fact... that's a first for me. One of my diggin buddies came up with a cornflower blue example with tons of whittle, but it had the more standard flange type lip. Happy Diggin, Kelley

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
Thanks Kelley, it's a 8" tall pint & I played heck getting it. The first auction I got outbid by a newbie. I emailed the seller (a real nice lady) & told her that if that guy didn't complete the deal to email me & I would pay the high bid price.....I never heard back from her and low & behold the same bottle was relisted a little over a month later because the first guy didn't pay! Anyhow it worked out better for me because I got it cheaper the second time.................[&:]

quarrylizard

Reaction score
hey,just wondering how much you paid for the med'l dept bottle and if you were to sell it ....what is a fair price?also would you know a fair price for a M.D. U.S.A?

thanks mike

Pontiled

Reaction score
It's good to see these beautiful bottles still showing up! They very rarely show up on eBay, but they can be found if you continuosly look for them. When you look for them and use "U.S.A." remember to look for "USA" also, look for "MED" instead of the full name, and "HOSP' as well. Also, for most of the Baltimore-made pieces made, when you see them (even cobalt blue) look especially for those that are extremely weak.

Also, many years ago, I found an olive-green one with wicker covering the lettering, but the lip was a dead give away!

quarrylizard

Reaction score
Hi mike,have you ever seen a amber md usa with 1000 cc on the bottom?if so would you know a value?

thanks mike

Pontiled

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

No. I've never seen any of them marked with CC's anywhere. It sounds like a modern fake, unfortunately. The early military didn't use CC's at all for any of their bottles, as far asI know.

What size, color, and lip style does it have?

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4