Very common bottle in a very uncommon color!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Guess what - 100 years ago people used to buy stuff to keep their stoves looking pretty!

I bought a new cast iron wood stove a couple years ago. Guess what it came with ? A bottle of black stove enamel to keep it look pretty. Good ideas live on[;)]

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
We used to have a cast iron Franklin Stove when I was a kid (currently replaced with an enamel Effel Coal Stove)... I never remember my parents using stove polish on it. More to think about, I guess![:D]

citydigger

Reaction score
As with most of your posts, I disagree. Surprise, surprise...[;)]

I personally think there is no better antique bottle education than digging. I feel all the most knowledgable guys and gals that frequent these bottle forums are diggers. There are many people in here that know as much as you do that did not have to write a book to prove it [;)] No pun intended, just stating the facts.

On another note. I have seen many (as you would put it) common bottles sell for waaaaay more than "book" value. I am a strong advocate of supple & demand. I feel that bottle books are way over rated, especially ones that use Ebay as a reference for their prices.[8|]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
There are many people in here that know as much as you

There are many people in this forum that know much more than I do.
I wouldnt be involved in the forum if I wasnt learning anything here.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Guntherhess...
I just want to say that I think you have class and I think we all appreciate your knowledge.
This is a hobby and passion for people from many different walks of life and those of us here consistently are, for the most part, always interested in learning more and sharing experiences and information.

Kate

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I am a digger, but most of what I know about bottles came from books, and talking to you folks.. Charlie

beendiggin

Reaction score
I just want to say that I think you have class and I think we all appreciate your knowledge.

I'll second that! I appreciate the knowledge you've shared, and you've shared a lot. Thanks!

appliedlips

Reaction score
You said it best Matt,it's just an opinion. I enjoy your books, as well as your opinions,even all the wrong ones!

BY THE WAY,NICE STOVE POLISH!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

digging holes and pulling up bottles doesn't give anyone "bottle knowledge" anymore than reading a few books does.

Lobey - I'm going to disagree with you a little bit on that one. At least for me. I know I've learned a lot more about bottles from digging them than I ever would have from a book or a bottle show. I've become "familiar" with them. Without digging, bottles just wouldn't mean as much to me. You learn just as much or more from the broken ones than the whole ones. My passion, however, is finding stuff. I'm a buried treasure seeker!
On your other points, I quite agree with you. Once I find something, I want to know about it, and I'm really glad other people write books so I can learn about what I find. The books, the internet, digging... they all go hand in hand.

Ten bucks for a stove polish bottle? Really? Which ones?

Kate

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Ahhhhh I love reading this stuff,I just sit back and marvel at it all.

Its always a show.Except this time I'm in the audience.[:D]

POP CORN! GET YOUR POP CORN!

Gunther your ok in my book [8D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese