Very odd doll..... Old or new?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixel

Reaction score
Found this very odd doll today. I was out helping build an offroad track for remote control vehicles, and in the digging process, I saw this roll out of the bucket. Now I I picked it up, and brushed it off, and this is the odd little fellow I saw.

It has some sort of crudly "carved" face, with a rough nose, and eyes, mouth and hair just seemed to have been pressed in with a stick or something like that.

It was found in an area where there has no been houses before, and there was no other trash around there. I am trying to figure out if it in a modern arm form, recently buried, or if it has any age to it at all. It has no signature or other id mark on it. As you can see, the feet and arms are broke off.

Anybody have any ideas....? It seems to be a reddish type clay, but I am no expert at this stuff.

EAB6BD49D9E8403AA007D61813D98BF5.jpg

Attachments

• EAB6BD49D9E8403AA007D61813D98BF5.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 98

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Good thing you said something, I would have guessed cast metal.
I looks like it broke off of something to me and not a solo item. It might be a repro from an Aztec, Inca et al craze.

epackage

Reaction score
I would bring it to your local college or museum and see if there's an archaeology expert who can take a look....you never know and there be other things there of historical or intrinsic value...

Bixel

Reaction score
cowseatmaize when it first popped out, I actually thought the same thing until I picked it up. The colouring, and the fact it was covered in mud made me think it was cast metal as well.

I think I will probably hold onto it until I can find someone confirm for me that it is a repro piece, or new. As much as I believe it is something new, I would hate to throw it out and find out it did have some value/age/interest later.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: Insulators Rule!

Found this very odd doll today. I was out helping build an offroad track for remote control vehicles, and in the digging process, I saw this roll out of the bucket. Now I I picked it up, and brushed it off, and this is the odd little fellow I saw.

It has some sort of crudly "carved" face, with a rough nose, and eyes, mouth and hair just seemed to have been pressed in with a stick or something like that.

It was found in an area where there has no been houses before, and there was no other trash around there. I am trying to figure out if it in a modern arm form, recently buried, or if it has any age to it at all. It has no signature or other id mark on it. As you can see, the feet and arms are broke off.

Anybody have any ideas....? It seems to be a reddish type clay, but I am no expert at this stuff.

Kyle,...I think it's a depiction of a character from a vintage cartoon called little Abner...and it's a likeness of the "shmoo" character..comparing the pics I might be wrong, but that's what came to mind,...Interesting find either way.

A203C6E98AE44796961F9E0E868F900B.gif

Attachments

• A203C6E98AE44796961F9E0E868F900B.gif
    A203C6E98AE44796961F9E0E868F900B.gif
    77.1 KB · Views: 82

Ice

Reaction score
That looks a lot like one of these little fellas: Mexican Candleholder Just without his arms.
I see whole ones of these from time to time in different styles in thrift stores, I have no idea how long they've been made for, but there might be some older ones out there, could all be based on something, but I know nothing of their history. If he is one of those little guys with how common reproductions of them are it might be rather difficult to determine its age.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28