veterinary ads

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
Almost missed your post, Steve. I'll Pm you. Thanks very much!

bostaurus

Reaction score
So you could gargle with it or use it as a liniment on your horse...tough people. " I am sorry you are out of hand cream, dear. Here use my bearing grease."
Actually I do remember my mom using Listerine for sunburns and insect bites. It actually felt pretty good. Has anyone every found out what was in Merchant's Gargling Oil?
Also...to add to what I said about blistering. My husband says that some vets and trainers still blister or pin fire horses with leg injuries. It is most common with race horses, polo ponies and barrel racers. The treatment causes inflammation at the site which increases the blood flow. Increased blood flow helps in the healing.It is controversial as many vets feel there are better ways to increase blood flow than these old treatments.
There now you have another piece of useless information...unless you buy a retired polo pony with scarred knees.

bostaurus

Reaction score
I was reading though Dr. Dadd's book on horses. Even back then he found firing horse's legs to be a barbaric practice. Blistering he found to the okay as a last resort and then only in a very mild formula.

While it is common to use a tube to get large amounts of a medicine into the horse of cow stomach you can also use a bottle or container. It is called 'drenching' or 'giving a drench'. The bottle or container is placed in the horses mouth in the area between the molars and incisors, where there are no teeth. The horse instinctively raises its head to get away from the bottle. That will tilt its head back making the liquid flow down the throat and cause him to swallow.
I personally think that is why it is called a drench as more times than not 1/2 the contents goes down the throat and 1/2on the head of the person giving the drench. The experts say it comes from the Old German root word for drink, liked our English word 'drink'.
I do not remember seeing any American vet 'drench' bottles but then my mind is like a sieve. I do have at least one English 'draught" vet bottle. I think that 'draught' must be the English equivalent of "drench". A draught is a large swallow or a big mug of beer or ale so it fits.
Has anyone seen any American drench bottles?
I know that there are folks that compile lists of bottle types. Does anyone know of a list of veterinary medicines?

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bostaurus

In one of the "All Creatures Great and Small" books he describes putting some purple crystals in a horse's hoof. When a liquid was poured on it a large puff of purple smoke rose into the air. Impressed the horse owners but did not a thing for the hoof.

I love those James Herriott books! They are funny, interesting, very sweet stories of a veterinarian who really cares about animals, and you feel like you learn something from them. I used to have all of them. I would recommend them for kids and adults.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Here is a cool vet bottle I dug in a dump .......

9FFA6BE8BF384ADEBD0218C98DB7DD07.jpg

Attachments

• 9FFA6BE8BF384ADEBD0218C98DB7DD07.jpg
    9FFA6BE8BF384ADEBD0218C98DB7DD07.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 121

RedGinger

Reaction score
I was admiring it too. And if you don't like someone, you could always give them that bottle [8D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229