Want to Build My Own Tumbler! Please Help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JarDoctor

Reaction score
Just wanted to add that the machine Kelley posted is one of mine. I think most people who have purchased equipment and/or supplies from us are very happy.
Please feel free to contact me for any questions or issues with machines/supplies you might have.
Thanks, Kelley.
Wayne

Pontiled

Reaction score
Quick comment... Wayne produces a top-quality unit and the price is very reasonable!

(Hi Wayne)

flasherr

Reaction score
I want to try to build my own tumbler. But I may end up buying one of jardoctors units. I know this much about him. I see his name on several other boards and I have never hard a single bad word from anyone. he always seems to go out of his way, even if hes not profiting from it at all. SO he must be a stand up kind of guy.
OK, now my question. Can you used a treadmill motor or a ceiling fan motor to make a tumbler? They are both variable speeds. I know a ceiling fan is made to run long periods but not sure about a treadmill. if nothing else I think you might be able to salvage some parts off a treadmill. People pay big bucks for them new but hardly ever pay much for a barley used one. Just an idea i look forward to hearing some feed back
Brian

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
Brian,
I never really thought about using a ceiling fan motor. The variable speed is definitely a plus. But I would have a hard time figuring out what size pulleys to use. I'm definitely not the right guy to give an answer to that question. I'm new to this whoe tumbling business. I've heard that the Jar Doctors machines are pretty good. I got a list of machines and prices from him, but I like the challenge of building one on my own. I've been taking my time and so far it's coming out pretty good. As soon as it's done, I'll take a couple of pics and post them here. I do plan on buying oxides and carbides from Wayne. I've checked around and I haven't been able to find anyone with better prices for the chemicals. On another note...I found a way to make stopples. The cone style and the bottom style. I spent $15.00 on materials and made three cone stopples. Not too bad. I tried them out in a piece of scrap PVC with a generic bottle and they worked quite well. If anyone would like to know how I did it...let me know and I'll be glad to help. Talk to you all soon.

Heath

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
I also forgot to add one thought...I'm using 5/8" rods for my tumbler. These should be okay to use wouldn't they. I sure hope so...I'd hate to start all over again and lose what I already have invested. Well...maybe I can use them for a small bottle tumbler...such as inks, small milks, soda Hutch's...etc.

cazz1310

Reaction score
[:)]I have found the preceding exchange of information very interesting - I'd like to know how to make stopples! Also, I gather the 75rpm refers to the cannister?
Bryan.

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
Bryan,
Making stopples has been easier than I thought. Here are the items that I use.

1.) Mechanical test plug with a wing nut (plumbing section of hardware stores)
These have to be the same diameter as your PVC canister. 3", 4", 5" and so on.

2.) Conical cups (cone shape)..Such as the type you see next to a water cooler.

3.) Silicone Sealant in a tube.

4.) Rubber Sealant in a tube.

5.) Caulking gun for the Silicone and Rubber Sealant.

6.) Cooking spray...a good expample would be 'Pam'.

Now we are ready to go. All you have to do is take your time and you'll be okay. The first thing you do is spray a light coat of cooking spray into the cone shaped cup. After that you take the silicone sealant and caulk it into the conical cup. I usually set the cup in the top of a wide bottle to allow it to set straight. This will take several days for the silicone to actually set. I waited about a week before I took mine out of the cup. Once the silicone sets, it has a hard/soft feel to it. Once taken out of the conical cup, you now have a silicone shaped cone. This will be the tip of the stopple that goes in the bottle top. The next thing you do is take the side that is OPPOSITE the side of the wing nut and place rubber sealant in the middle of it. Take your cone and put rubber sealant on the base of the cone. Center the cone on the disc and allow time to dry. Usually a couple of days. When the rubber sealant dries your stopple will be complete. Remember...the side of the wing nut is the side that will be facing out when applied in the PVC canister. On another note...JarDoctor.com (Wayne) has stopples. His look awesome. If you write to him, he'll send you a pamphlet with tumblers, oxides, carbides, copper and stopple prices. I made mine because I like the challenge. I do plan on buying copper and oxides off of him. You can't beat his prices for those chemicals. I hope this will help in you endeavors. Talk to you soon.

Heath

atdadump

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm just kind of sitting on the side for a few weeks reading the posts and replies. I built my own tumbler and I hear you talking about using a fan motor to drive the machine. I'm not saying it won't work, but keep in mind the weight from the copper is quite heavy, And how many tubes did you want to turn at once. I purchased a motor with a gear reducer on it from e-bay, So my gearing is different than the Jar Doctors. As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I'll put some on for ideas. Maybe it will help someone out. The downfall for my tumbler is i have to change pulleys to slow down the speed. I mainly turn sodas and round stuff so this is not an issue for me.

cazz1310

Reaction score
Thanks Heath, I'm pleased to be a beneficiary of your ingenuity - sounds easy. Do you have a similar tip on the manufacture of fingered stopples?
I have previously purchased a set of stopples from the jar doctor - excellent quality.
However, I am looking to make stopples 'on the cheap' as I have very few bottles that require large diameter stopples and as I live down under, bear considerable freight costs from the US.

Bryan

RngrXlt1

Reaction score
Bryan,
I've been giving the bottom stopples quite a bit of thought. I do not own any type of welder, so welding my own fingers (metal rods) on the mechanical test plug would be out of the question. I do have an idea. Now bear with me...I have yet to try it. Here's my theory...a thick piece (about 1/4 inch or smaller) of plexiglass cut into the shape of a triangle. Using the rubber sealant place one of the flat ends on the mechanical test plug so that the slope of the trangle will face the inside perimeter of the test plug. Do this 3 or 4 times all the way around...depending on the shape of the bottle base, ie. square or round. Now the next question I had about this theory is about the edges of the plexiglass scratching the glass of the bottle. I think that If you use the rubber sealant (here we go with that wonderful compund again) and place a caulk line in the slope of the triangle from one end to the other, there might be enough protection. I hope you've followed this. Kinda hard to explain without pictures. Wayne...If you're reading this, can you give us your advice? Do you think it will work? Talk to you all soon.

Heath

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause