War time Pepsi

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JGUIS

Reaction score
I watched a show last night about the Pepsi/Coke wars, and their companies growth. It said that since Coke got the government account during WWII and wasn't subject to the rationing of sugar during the war, Pepsi almost went under (again) due to lack of production. Would this make wartime Pepsi bottles worth more? Seeing it made me wonder.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Alright, another research project!
What chanell so I can look for a rerun? Thanks.
I would have to imagine the answer is yes. If sales fall, production would naturally follow. Theres a scarcity factor involved. If you find one with a "watime production.. return promptly" label they may be nice. I read that somewhere.
I wonder also is coke had a more plain bottle for the military, like a mre olive drab? Hmmm?

JGUIS

Reaction score
They showed some video of soldiers drinking it. Looked like the same hourglass bottle. It was either the learning channel or the history channel. It was very informative on both companies, but I missed the first 25 minutes, so I didn't get to see the early products.

bubbas dad

Reaction score
i was told one time that the coke bottles for the military during wwll were clear instead of coke green. i'm not sure if it's true but i have seen clear hobbleskirts.

Reaction score
it was the history channel i really liked it the first part of the show was how they were made and discovered some nice bottles in some of the pics though lol but how would you know if you have a war time bottle cause i have only 2 old cokes and one old pepsi not much luck for me

capsoda

Reaction score
WW2 Cokes were clear the same as alot of the export bottles and they are almost worthless because they made millioms of them.

The Pepsi's come up on Ebay from time to time but I haven't seen that war production angle used so they go very reasonable.

The war is why Pepsi went from 6 and 7oz bottles for a nickle to 12oz bottles for a nickle. The advertising and signs got smaller because of lack of sales and are worth BIG bucks.

Coke had been making offers to buy Pepsi for years and when Pepsi was on the verge of failing and Coke was offered the company for pennies on the dollar they said no. That was just after the war. Today Pepsi is Cokes biggest competetor and was saved by 12oz for the price of 6oz.

You reckon they be kickin themselfs in the ass daily.[sm=lol.gif]

Reaction score
the great depression is why pepsi went from the 6 once to the 12 once cause a nickel was alot back then and the the people liked getting more the the same price

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Here's a good and interesting web site for Pepsi info.

http://www.sodamuseum.bigstep.com/generic.jhtml?pid=3

I stumbled on this when I found an amber Mavis bottle with the top broke off, would have been a sweet little soda.
Almost every hobbelskirt coke that you have has a two digit date code to the left or right, switched around 1951, on the first indent up from the base of the hobbleskirt. The other number is a mould number. War year Cokes have 41,42, etc. on them. Not sure how the clear ones are marked, have one at work - have to check but I think its foriegn. Some year, I believe 43 due to metal restrictions some cokes are supposed to be a blue instead of the classic coke bottle green. The color can probably be slightly off for a few (thousands?) for every year due to a weird batch.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1