Waskey's Dairy Dump!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AMChandler

Reaction score
Wow that's so great! There's something so satisfying about unearthing an intact milk, I can't really explain.

Bottleman

Reaction score
Cool dig. I've dug a few dairy dumps and the intact milks you find will usually be from other dairy's. When people returned their bottles and had other local dairy's mixed in they would just through them in the dump because they had no use for them. Digging through literally thousands of broken milks, I think I only found one or two completely intact milks from the dairy I was digging.

waskey

Reaction score
So far maybe about 1/3 of the intact milk bottles have been from the Hilton Farm Dairy. They dumped some of their own bottles but many of them are from other dairies; I actually got a very rare Ellicott City milk from the dump so the rare ones are in there, but they are far and few between.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I am not a milk bottle collector but that has to be a real nice dig for those of you who do. Congrats! Hopefully you can trade off or sell the duplicates.

PD

Plumbata

Reaction score
Very cool, looks like a fun place to dig. Specialized dumps like that are always quite interesting, thanks for sharing the pics!

The most similar spot I've dug was a 1910s-20s dump which had a layer of essentially pulverized milk bottles a foot thick. Seemed like I was digging through a seam of tempered safety glass shards because most of the pieces were so small. I think they came from the Champaign (IL) Sanitary Milk Co. or something like that. Everything was broken to bits, so finding bases with even partial slugs was unexpected. The one different base with partial slug I found came from Waco, Texas, of all places.

MINNESOTA DIGGER

Reaction score
take all that rusty iron to the scrap yard it is worth 195.00 per ton which equals 10 cents per pound , which pays a lot better then cans as the iron weighs a lot more . pay for your gas ! i would haul all that metal away in a heart beat you could also use that money for lunch or to buy bottles . it adds up really fast

Plumbata

Reaction score
Yeah seriously, collecting iron/steel scrap is worth it if you have a suitable vehicle. Collecting nonferrous scrap is worth it regardless.

My best day scrapping was several years ago. A buddy tipped me off about a semi-rural ravine dump so the next morning bright and early I started scrounging. Got back to the yard before they closed at 3 and got 364.00 and some change, all from nonferrous scrap. Place was loaded with copper, aluminum, brass, etc. It was awesome. Literally thousands worth of iron there but hauling appliances out of a steep ravine isn't as appealing as hauling up bundles of wire and aluminum siding.

Another great haul was an easy-access pile of cast iron ingots dumped along the river decades ago. After 90 minutes of hunting/collecting I thought the bed of the truck would snap off, hah. Wound up being 2,800 pounds; 1,300 more than the truck is intended to carry, lol. The $$ really does add up.

hannahevan

Reaction score
We are still hitting this place count is most likely over 500-600 milks now.I did dig this today any Jersey guys know if its any good?

7CD8C53A77334895816264826E224DC2.jpg

Attachments

• 7CD8C53A77334895816264826E224DC2.jpg
    7CD8C53A77334895816264826E224DC2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 82

zecritr

Reaction score
no idea about it but tis cool to me :)
like that plum bro's on the boardwalk lol

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads