We got clobbered.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ktbi

Reaction score
That's some snow! Back in the 70's I was one of those chain monkeys putting chains on cars/trunks heading over Donner Pass going to California from Reno. Made a lot of money for a college kid trying to eat. Back then all you needed was good gloves and the nerve to do it. Now you have to be licensed, pay taxes, etc. or it's off to jail! Too old to put up with the snow now and that's why I live in Vacaville. We had an inch of snow in 1989 and that's it.....To all you guys in the storm - stay safe!!! Ron

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Anyone remember skitchen? Grab on the the back of a car or something and just go with it.
It was a cross between skiing and hitchin a ride. Dangerous as heck but a ton of fun.
Don't try this at home folks.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
To all you guys in the storm - stay safe!!! Ron
Thanks Ron. Sounds like there might be some good stories regarding your days in the 'chain gang".

After all of that shovelling, (I'm guessing a solid six hours of throwing snow), I feared my back might be pretty sore today. I was mighty stiff getting up out of a chair last night. Luckily, though, I was fine. No problems.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Anyone remember skitchen?
Hey Cows,
Somewhere in my old pictures, I have some action shots of hanging on the bumper back in college. (The smart things you do while getting educated). I know in one picture, we were holding up fingers to show that we hung on past 25 mph. I don't think we ever made it to 30. After that, we got bored with just hanging on so we made a contest. Last one on wins. So, you'd pull one hand off and see if you could pry the guy next to you loose. It was a blast but looking at it now, it seems nothing short of a miracle that we lived through it.[:D]

beendiggin

Reaction score
Well. here on the coast we picked up another 16"...I'll post some pics tomorrow.

bottle34nut

Reaction score
its hard to explain, but i love the snow. im a repairman for the phone co. so i work outside 365 days of the year. this is the most snow we have had in a long time. but life goes on. its just fun. a change of pace. i really enjoy it. for most people here it is an inconvienience, but in other states everything would just shut down. not here. people here think four wheel drive means you can drive like you normally would. they dont realize that you may be able to accelerate and steer normally, but braking is a whole nother story. the fast pace here in new jersey just doesnt mix with the weather. as i said life goes on.....greg

ps....more snow forecast for the weekend...lol

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Who do you work for Greg, Verizon as a splicer.I own my own telecommunication company and we work from the Demark in to the plant or business.
I also love the snow and there is more forecast three times over the next two week period.

Stardust

Reaction score
As of noon there were 50 official roofs fallen in and partial roofs that had been reported. Stores and the Malls were all closing with flat roofs. No snow rakes for roofs could be found. People were up on their roofs trying to clean them up. My nurse had been told if you don't attempt to clean your roof off your insurance won't cover the damage in many states that have been hit. This is crazy and more snow on Saturday. Plus when it all melts.... better move anything in your basements, as right now that will be 60" of water with no where to go.

It looked beautiful when I had to take a cab ride this afternoon and all the trees were frozen with ice and glistening in the sun. A true winter wonderland, yet it held so much danger. The traffic was crazy at a time when it shouldn't have been. It was true the Malls were closing, making roadways nearly impassable.

I felt bad when my cab passed the fire department on a major route near all the malls with 10 men digging out a fire hydrant and a helicopter flying over. I'll have to watch the news to see what happened. These are the times we all need to if we are able to call or go and check on neighbors. Make sure people are OK.

Stay safe everyone. Anyone needs help you should just ask for it here. We are family.... the way the ice looked this afternoon I was expecting power losses, but that was a town away. Once again we need to open our homes to others should others get loss of power and no heat in the next few days.

This has to end sometime soon.

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Wow, I definitely miss a good snow storm now and then.
I would totally snowboard off the roof of your shed Bob[:D]

Sometimes you get bored with the sun and warm weather here, but then it's off to Lake Tahoe for a cool down on the slopes.

Doug

Stardust

Reaction score
Nearly 100 Roofs Buckle Under Snow, Ice Weight - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/26741497/detail.html

At least the sun was out today melting some of the snow.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75