Weekend Digs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kastoo

Reaction score
How about about a close up of those amber with the heart embossing and what are they?

beendiggin

Reaction score
And you never thought it was anything....I'm glad you went back.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Nice digs and good pics.Keep on finding 'em.Those heart embossed bottles are nice,they are a Canadian druggist,aren't they?

Doug

Bixel

Reaction score
The heart bottle says "J.F Hartz Limited, Toronto" inside the heart. I will try and get pics up within the next few days of that, and some of the other bottles. Even have a few questions for the collectors south of the border, I know one is a Philly medicinal bottle. I will try and post sometime on Friday night.

dirtmover

Reaction score
wow - great finds bet you're happy you went back- I would of been. That large brown jar looks simular to one I found this summer - with a mystery hard clob of white stuff in it[:D] I was a little afraid to open it[:-] but it turned out it was just a big ball of leftover wax- haha - good luck with your dig

Jim

Reaction score
Nice dig. Embossed cobalts and ambers are always fun to find. Looks like you got a good selection of bottles. ~Jim

Bixel

Reaction score
Does anybody have any info on a small rectangular bottles, about 3 inches tall, tooled lip, embossed "Wm R Warner & Co, Philadelphia"..? Thats one of the bottles from the dig that I know nothing about.

tigue710

Reaction score
the Warners were some type of pill, not related to the Warners safe cure co. I forget now what they were for, antacid maybe?

Reaction score
J F Hartz was a medical supply company - which means that doctors and hospitals were the ones who ended up with the bottles. Most of them got recycled for use in the lab once the original contents were exhausted - few turn up in the average dump, but you'll find them in a small town or city dump.

I was fortunate to find a former nurse of an old time doctor who ended up with his medical equipment and supplies when he died - she was an avid collector of antique glass. The doctor's brother was a local pharmacist which assured plenty of bottles with labels. Though she died a number of years ago, I acquired from her husband an amber J.F. Hartz with original label and contents - covered in onion skin paper. Also an Owen Sound druggist with a beaver logo embossed on it (J.F. McCallum)

I'd dug several amber Hartz bottles at the Chatsworth dump many years ago of various sizes and conditions. But the creme de la creme of these bottles are the cobalt blue ones since, in addition to the heart on the front, they are covered with little hearts to make them look and feel like a poison botle (though the word poison is not embossed on them). I had two damaged ones - again, different sizes, and spotted a mint one amongst the doctor's bottles. I couldn't afford to buy it but I alerted a fellow collector who promptly came and purchased it.

Speaking of cobalt and noticing your amber jar, you may come across a cobalt blue lid that resembles the lid that goes on a Beaver jar. These are from cobalt blue Johnson & Johnson jars which contained sterile bandages - very rare. The amber jar looks like a snuff or tobacco.

lexdigger

Reaction score
The WMR Warner bottles are pretty common. I'm not sure if they are chemical or medicinal, but there are Alot of varieties of them. I've dug all sorts of shapes and sizes in clear, amber, and cobalt. We dug one that had a huge monogram on it, looked really fancy. Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter