Weird Maker's Mark - Simple Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeeSter

Reaction score
Hey all! Stuck in the house with a crappy case of summer pneumonia and I'm bored lol! I've had this bottle for several years now and am curious if anyone's familiar with the maker's mark. Bottle itself is fairly straightforward - about 11" tall, nice defect riddled applied top, and simply embossed with "This Bottle Not to be Sold". There's also an area on the reverse where a round label would have been. The base, though, is embossed with a pair of great, witchy looking symbols. I've checked sha.org with no luck. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Thanks! Edited to add... that small circle next to the crescent mark is a bubble, not part of the embossing :)

Attachments

• 3137c8c83228463fa8a4b42462a11d60.jpg
    3137c8c83228463fa8a4b42462a11d60.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 96
  • b09ae25ff8c848378cf20e95228c836c.jpg
    b09ae25ff8c848378cf20e95228c836c.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 96
  • bbd0942d47064774ad51dbe0817e4f64.jpg
    bbd0942d47064774ad51dbe0817e4f64.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 102

DeeSter

Reaction score
Thanks, Indiana! A quick check doesn't turn up a lot of info on them, but I did see a a similar star mark. No little crescent thing, though. Guess I'll keep looking :)

DavidW

Reaction score
Hi Dee,
I am posting my observations/thoughts/comments on this site as well as my own, where you had posted a comment about this bottle. (glassbottlemarks.com) . Please allow me to note that the star on the base of the bottle, as far as I know, cannot be proven to be related in any way to any particular glassworks. The bottle is a "generic" beer bottle of East Coast origin, the general type was made in many slight variations and the wording “This Bottle Not to be Sold” was a VERY, VERY common “generic” phrase which appeared on hundreds, if not thousands, of different beer and soda bottle variants produced over a long time.....although I would say especially in the circa 1880-1920 period. Many of the bottles also carried a particular local brand/company/brewer/bottler name. Since yours has only that "..Not to be sold" phrase on the face, it is very difficult if not impossible to know where the bottle was made or used. That “tic tac toe” type of “star” (as if hand-sketched, in 5 intersecting straight lines) along with the crescent mark, on the base of your bottle is a mark I have NEVER seen, and I think it COULD stand for either an unidentified glassworks, OR it could merely have been a mold identifier (taking the place of a mold number or letter)…….that is, identifying a particular beer bottle mold in use at the factory, where perhaps a number of identical, or very similar bottle molds, were in use. That type of "mold mark" is pretty common on the bottoms of some kinds of old fruit jars (like with crosses, "X's, tic-tac-toe, triangles, etc).
The “Star” motif has been used in a multitude of ways over many years, being just a decorative device on some bottles, or actually standing for a company. For instance some “WARRANTED FLASK” liquor flasks are believed to have been made by a Star Glass Works of Medford, New Jersey. I have seen those bottles show up every so often on ebay. The Star on the face of those flasks are not at all the same style of star as on the bottom of your beer bottle.
Also… I can assure you that your bottle has NOTHING to do with the City Bottling Works of Louisiana, that info was suggested because there is a lettered bottle posted on a website with that bottling company marking AND it also has a star on the base (but it's a completely different star, similar to the one used by Star Glass Works of New Albany, Indiana), but the date range of the City Bottling Works eliminates it being from Star from New Albany. (Is this confusing enough yet?Sorry I really don't know who made the bottle, or what the mark represents........but hopefully this will serve as more "food for thought" ?
simple-smile.png

~David

DavidW

Reaction score
I should also add that the your bottle might have been intended as a soda bottle, although I think the shape was more frequently used for beer. Sometimes they were used for both!~David

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen