Went for a dive today....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I hate to see a debate about diving vs. digging. Bottle collectors of the world - UNITE! (But wait, isn't that what this forum does?)

I think digging is a pretty cool hobby. I almost never get the chance to do it. I do, however, dive for bottles all of the time. It's a blast! Even when I don't find anything, it's nearly always an adventure.

If you're doubting the merits of diving, try a 'resort' dive on your next tropical vacation.They're usually really cheap. There's no chance of finding anything but you'll get a sample of what I'm talking about.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hey City Digger-

Do I have to change my name to "FatRichDiverguy"? Hey don't sell yourself short, I dug for 35 years, and have dug HUNDREDS of dumps. I thought I would never take up diving, but I finally did - and I'll still dig, cause they are both great adventures and great exercise.

I'm not that fat really, and I'm not that rich. I got my full dive gear and training for about $1000, and paid for it over the course of 2 years ( with Ebay bottle money). Dont take an attitude that diving is not as good as digging, give it a try, life is too short. They are both great !

citydigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: downeastdigger

Hey City Digger-

Do I have to change my name to "FatRichDiverguy"? Hey don't sell yourself short, I dug for 35 years, and have dug HUNDREDS of dumps. I thought I would never take up diving, but I finally did - and I'll still dig, cause they are both great adventures and great exercise.

I'm not that fat really, and I'm not that rich. I got my full dive gear and training for about $1000, and paid for it over the course of 2 years ( with Ebay bottle money). Dont take an attitude that diving is not as good as digging, give it a try, life is too short. They are both great !

Hey Bram, I really never meant to piss anyone off. Sometimes I think I just put my words together wrong. I have no problems with diggers, divers, snorklers, etc... These days I am lucky if I can get out and dig more than 2 times in three weeks. We all enjoy the same thing in here. I take responsibility for my part and don't blame earlyglass and the other divers in here for giving me hell. We all know I am far from perfect.

Woody, I am aware you live in NH as well. I am also aware and NH diggers talk to other NH diggers. The last thing I want to do is be known for starting trouble. Believe me. It's water under the bridge. I just need to keep some things to myself is all.

capsoda

Reaction score
Digging a hole in the ground burns approximately 500 calories in an hour.

When my wife digs I don't burn any calories.....[sm=lol.gif]
Digging, diving, buying or just finding them lying around you will burn calories. How many calories depends on how long it has been since you last got your fix.

You know, Heart pounding so hard you can feel and hear it in you head, sweat pouring from your brow, eyes all bugged out, breathing hard, trembling all over and mouth dry as a cob. Now that is burning calories and it seems to be universal no matter how you get your bottles.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
No prob. I wasn't pissed, just giving you a hard time. I'd dig with you any day. I just dont have a place to dig on dry land right now :( I went out in the woods with 2 of my kids yesterday checkin our a stone wall, but no luck. The rivers are all mucked up from the rain too, so that has to wait for a while.
I devoted this day to address my credit card debt issue. I spent FIVE HOURS on the phone with different credit card companies, discussing rates, payment plans etc. I have a SPLITTING headache, and I keep saying "man I wish I was digging or diving today'. But I must plug on.
Good luck diggin - ( and take up diving too :)

woody

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: citydigger
Woody, I am aware you live in NH as well. I am also aware and NH diggers talk to other NH diggers. The last thing I want to do is be known for starting trouble. Believe me. It's water under the bridge. I just need to keep some things to myself is all.

Good.
Sometimes we need to think about what and how we respond before we go ahead and post it for all to see.
I'm glad you two could work it out.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad this one turned out better. I was thinking about it half of the day at work. I love diving for bottles and I would rather be doing that than working any day any time.

I know that digging is hard work. Filling the hole when your tired (and skunked) can put cramps in places that you didn't remember you had. However, here's the point. If someone told me that you can keep all of the bottles that you can find in a pit - and there's a chance for early, rare, collectible pieces - I'd be there. So, if somebody tells you that you have a shot at the same stuff underwater, why wouldn't you want to go out and get it?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter