Went MD'n, Found this...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
We all are in search of buried stuff, hopefully of some value. Anybody else keep they'er eye's open for "sang"? Found this today It's a 8oz. 40+ year old root that will go nice in a mushroom stew... DD

807C1644BB694BF6A7C19DE7B4FFF751.jpg

Attachments

• 807C1644BB694BF6A7C19DE7B4FFF751.jpg
    807C1644BB694BF6A7C19DE7B4FFF751.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 80

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
I'm really quite suprised that there was no response to this. Dos'nt anyone else look for ginseng around the old cellar holes in the woods? It used to be a second income to many early american families. I spent about 4 hrs in the woods yesterday and did'nt find any coin or glass but did pop out 3 1/2lbs of root,bout 900.00 bucks. This one should bring a bit more when it hits the bay tonight. Happy Digs... DD

1C9FA37EEDBB4217BE232BA61A27BABF.jpg

Attachments

• 1C9FA37EEDBB4217BE232BA61A27BABF.jpg
    1C9FA37EEDBB4217BE232BA61A27BABF.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 96

goodman1966

Reaction score
Just saw this Dumpdiver. I would like to try to find some "sang" too. But it's so hot here in Louisiana the snakes are still out. I have read about sang in the Foxfire books that belonged to my dad. That is really a huge root! Good luck and good huntin!

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Somebody else thought it was nice too. It went on the bay last night for 931.00. I should have checked my inbox there was a 1500.00 offer to end it early. Happy Digs, DD

ironmountain

Reaction score
holy cow!
i've never seen ginseng in the wild.... i know there are tons of ppl who hunt morel mushrooms up here and make decent money off of them....

nice score on the ginseng.,

Plumbata

Reaction score
Wow, that's an incredible specimen, congrats on the return (and for a wet root no less!)

I'm in ohio and don't know of any patches, but back in Illinois I've covered enough ground and know where several patches are. Haven't collected any because a license is needed. They are super cheap but I haven't bothered yet. The patches are rather hard to locate so I doubt others will exploit them anytime soon.

Anyway, after reading this post a couple days ago I decided to go "wildcrafting" and although no ginseng was found, I decided to collect some Bloodroot instead because I knew where tons of it is located, and autumn-collected bloodroot is superior to spring-collected material. Rather early in the day of collecting I stepped on a Yellow jacket wasp nest while in the middle of thick thorny brambles (wearing only sandals shorts and a t-shirt) and wound up getting stung 40+ times. It sucked so hard, and I am still recovering. I also dropped my sack of roots when I realized I was under attack. I must have looked like a maniac high on PCP as I had ripped my shirt off (covered in the wasps) and barreled out of the woods covered in mud, blood, and nasty sting welts all while hooting and hollering from the pain and fear, haha. It was pretty scary to be stuck in thorn bushes trying rather unsuccessfully to escape quickly, with visions of the anaphylactic shock my dad went through after being attacked by honey bees years ago being fresh on my mind. Went back the next day and carefully recovered the roots and collected more and despite all the trouble only got about 160 worth. Guess I should do like the rest and just dig 'seng, lol.

2find4me

Reaction score
Just curious where ginseng grow & what they look like, that is a huge root!!!

ironmountain

Reaction score
Dang Plumb...that sounds like a movie. That's one fear I have up here (other than wolves, mt lions). Stepping on a nest. Glad you only came away from that w/o ana. shock....

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn