Went to the dump again! First whole local!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
So I went to the dump again today. I went alone this time... Dug for a bit less than an hour. The digging is getting harder, though. The bottle layer is about a foot under the regular soil, which is FILLED with roots both large and small. I won't be able to dig any more, at least not until I get a small saw and chop up these roots! On top of the ground, I found my first whole local bottle! I didn't see it before, but a recent rainstorm must have washed away the soil that covered it. It's some kind of a druggist bottle from Montclair. I didn't find much else, but the local made my day.

The dump actually isn't natural. Let's just say, a while ago, something was being built. It was being built on top of the Montclair town dump during the late 1800's and early 1900's. They dug up the dump with machines, then trucked the dirt to a nearby gully and re-dumped it. As such, the layers are very jumbled. I think they must have knocked down an old, burned out building as well, because the dump is filled with ash and broken piping, plus old electrical components.

Here's the haul:

The Montclair bottle is so close to perfect. The glass is perfectly clean, the embossing is super crisp, and there's no damage... except for a tiny lip chip [:mad:]. I think I'll try to fix it with epoxy, as it is a tiny chip. I can't find anything on the Benham & Johnson company, as I expected.

img3572.jpg

I dug a strange amber slick as well. It looks like a medicine of some kind, except for the top. It looks like a short blob top, similar to the green turn molded bottle I dug before. The seams are strange too. Is there such thing as a four piece mold?

img3567bq.jpg

img3569w.jpg

Next I pulled out another as yet unidentified bottle. It was buried with the top facing me directly, and it felt like a milk... oh well. It's got a puffy cloud/shield shape embossed on the front, but with no writing. The base is embossed with "CAPACITY/ 10/ OZ/ GUARUNTEED". It's also got a large birdswing inside the shoulder. It's pointy, too. What is the bottle? It's about 7" tall.

img3576ng.jpg

Base

img3578q.jpg

Closeup of birdswing

img3579t.jpg

Hard to photograph

img3580j.jpg

I dug my third jar lid... no sign of any jars in the dump, though.

img3581n.jpg

This was a weird find. It's the first machine made bottle I've pulled out of the dump. It kind of looks like a cone ink, but it has a different shape. The bottle seems extraordinarily heavy for its size, at least to me. The glass isn't super thick, either. Was it maybe made with a different, heavier type of glass?

img3573p.jpg

The base says "SANFORD'S" and some numbers. It has a small circle around the numbers, almost like on 50's milks.

img3574xr.jpg

I also found some mystery objects, which I will post better pictures of in the "Unexpected Discoveries" forum.

img3595w.jpg

img3600d.jpg

...And that's about it.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
THAT WHITE MYSTERY ITEM LOOKS TO BE A EARLY CERAMIC FUSE .

Plumbata

Reaction score
Excellent local druggist bottle! I like the food bottle with the birdswing too, they are always fun.

That carbon/graphite rod (last picture) is the cathode from the center of an old large dry-cell battery. They were often used as telephone batteries, but were also used in quack electrical medical devices and whatnot.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Connor,
The Benham & Johnson actually looks like an extract or flavoring bottle. I get them from known grocers in this area.

The Carter's is a musiclage bottle, me thinks.

Bill

epackage

Reaction score
Nice stuff Connor, love the Montclair bottle....Jim

epackage

Reaction score
Seems they were in business in 1901 until ?????, no listing in 1916....and yes they were druggists...Jim

http://books.google.com/books?id=TLPmAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=%22benham+%26+johnson%22&source=bl&ots=brfW75ECrO&sig=Q7GAhaVhr6OBanQMmiptQ7BJeyo&hl=en&ei=RxmsTYydOYnw0gGR_N2hDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22benham%20%26%20johnson%22&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=22BMAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA269&lpg=PA269&dq=%22benham+%26+johnson%22&source=bl&ots=qwdo2quv93&sig=L4rcZUntS9J1L0_ALsr527wP4iY&hl=en&ei=rRqsTbffGIOI0QGf-4T6CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=%22benham%20%26%20johnson%22&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=GqXtAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=%22prebols+pharmacy%22&source=bl&ots=7-fYfseYvW&sig=Ut91Yavwba-qiPou6AEsUiQd9GA&hl=en&ei=Sye7TMH0IIKB8gbEkKGDDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

epackage

Reaction score
In the 3rd link you see Johnson is listed alone at this address...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH