Were are the bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jake12

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm digging a possible privy in the woods , the house that once stood here was on a 1876 plat map, the privy is taking its shape
As a large rectangle with wood lining it. Only some clay pottery and a old insulator so far I'm about 3 feet deep and I'm digging out the sides. My question is we're are the bottles!? I know there there but just cant find them :/. Any suggestions or helpful hints to finding the bottles? Thanks comments would be appreciated !-Jake.

NyDigger1

Reaction score
privys can be 6 to 25 feet deep.

Just dug one where the bottle layer was 12 feet down. It can take a while but keep digging till you hit bottom.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Thats what I have been askin my self lately,where the heck are the bottles !! ? [:D]

2 words that don't go together for me, woods & privy most times = no bottles.

But I could be wrong I often am [;)]

Jake12

Reaction score
Well it was not always a woods it was onnce the sight of a house built around the 1850 or 60's. Sometime In the 1915's or 1920's another house was built across from the old one. And in the 1960's the property was abandoned. And trees and bushes became overgrown and became the woods.

rd1550

Reaction score
Was looking for some informed opinions on privvy digging and ran across this thread. I am new to the science and have a similar situation,an old single family farmhouse circa mid 1800's. After some research it would seem the multi family tenements, row and boarding houses, those habitats with a predominately male population would be pivotal. The scenario I have is three spinster sisters in a rural environment from late 1800s to 1960s in a house sans plumbing,,,,gender alone cuts down on the whiskey bottle...pocket change probability.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] As stated befors the use or bottle layer is usually near the bottom as the heavier items would naturally sink there. Keep digging the years of the property sound real encouraging re finding good bottles........

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau