What about cemetery stones?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

quicksilver

Reaction score
I found a crude, square-shaped tombstone (I believe). It has 2 dates engraved: Oct. 1893 and Dec. 1896. There is a name (PAT). I can't make out a last name, if there is one. I found this at a construction site. I don't think there was a cemetery at this site. Maybe because this was a child, he/she was buried near an old house. It is about 1.5 inches thick and about a foot wide. Are these collectible? Let me know your thoughts on this one.

Matt

quicksilver

Reaction score
After cleaning it up some, I see that PAT is a patent. There is an "F3" next to it. It looks like a part of a building from 1893. I don't know how they knew they were going to be in business for 3 years, or maybe 1896 means something else.

Matt

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Here is a piece of marble I dug from an old town dump a few years ago. It is 3/4" thick and 4 1/2 by 2 inches. I had tried to find out its purpose, still only guesses. Everything from a paperweight to a sample of embossing for tombstones. One person said that people who built fireplaces and mantles sometimes embedded a marker like this as a sort of advertising thing in case someone else was impressed with the workmanship and wanted one like it built. Just curious if anyone else has any possible ideas. I am guessing it was probably made in 1855, but other than that who knows.

Cliff

Ca80802.jpg

Attachments

• Ca80802.jpg
    Ca80802.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 85

tncgal

Reaction score
Matt, yours is probably a building/church cornerstone. Yes, they are collectible. I'd like to see a picture.

Cliff, yours is probably a street address marker for a building. Normally they were imbedded in the building, but some were used on the front steps. It's also true that it could be a masons advertisement for stonework. I don't believe it's a cemetery marker or typestyle for a monument maker. The carvers work could be seen in the local graveyards. The only possibility that comes to mind, in regard to cemetery marker, would be a corner marker for the family plot.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi tncgal,

Thanks for the info,might check with historical society in the town to see if they have any iny on the name and date. Thanks again.

Cliff

quicksilver

Reaction score
Thank you for the lively discussion. The date on mine is 1893 and 1896. It is kind of shaped like a top hat with straight edges. My cam isn't working yet on my new computer. I can't wait to get a pic on here. I do think now it is a building/church cornerstone. So, how collectible are these? What kind of values are we looking at? Any general rules to follow when determining values or conditions?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles