What bottles have you dug that you let go...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebryan

Reaction score
When I was about 12 or 13 I dug a pair of cobalt "Abigail Littlefield, Watervliet NY" square pharmacy bottles. These were the best bottles I ever dug and later let go. I would like to obtain one again. I also had dug (and later let go) an iron pontilled base embossed Dyottville Glass Works cylinder whiskey, and not knowing what an iron pontil was I scrubbed most of the iron off with an SOS pad!

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
I can honestly say that I have few if any regrets. I love to dig and keep only that which I like. Some of my favorite bottles are not worth a whole lot but may have an interesting shape or color. The thing about bottles is that they are made of glass and glass can break. I enjoy selling what I find and realized a long time ago that I can always replace tomorrow anything that I might sell today. One thing that I do not sell are important memories and if a bottle preserves a memory of a special dig, I am hard pressed to sell it.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I miss all the bottles I ever gave away.. I keep a list, and cross-reference it with the obituaries every morning.. those babes are coming back to Papa!!! [&:]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlediger

Want to start something new here and hear what you all have to say on this topic - What bottles have you have Dug that you ended up letting go only to regrete it down the road. Personally I can not think of one off the top of my head

If you could post a pic that would be awesome

Digger Ry

Im with you man. Can't think of a single one cuz I still have them all [;)]

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Can't think of a single one cuz I still have them all
Rick. Seriously. You need to spread the wealth on all of that cobalt. I have a big space on my windowsill that is begging for iron pontils.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I can honestly say that I have few if any regrets.

I'll agree with Dan on that. It doesn't pay to have regrets. You make the best decision you can with what you know. If you make a mistake, you live and learn, right?

Having said that, there are a few bottles that I wouldn't mind having back. I really liked this seltzer. It is footed from a small town that was mis-spelled in the etching. A little worn but as far as I know, there isn't another one out there. Here it is . . .

F50FF0938CC44FD797BA9CC17E8379BE.jpg

Attachments

• F50FF0938CC44FD797BA9CC17E8379BE.jpg
    F50FF0938CC44FD797BA9CC17E8379BE.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 88

baltbottles

Reaction score
I can say of the thousands of things I have dug and sold I only ever regreted two of them. One was a 3 piece mold iron pontiled whiskey in a nice yellow topaz color made at a Baltimore glass house in the 1840s-50s. At the time I wasn't collecting unembossed utility type pieces and sold it for a pretty good sum of money. Several years later I started collecting Baltimore utility type bottles and regreted selling that whiskey. But then a couple years ago I was lucky enough to dig another one in the same color and mold. The other piece I regret was a blue decorated stoneware pitcher. That was way out of my price range to buy out my digging partners.

Chris

jays emporium

Reaction score
There is definitely one bottle that I regret getting rid of the most.
In 1978 I dug an amber Houston Texas Coca Cola bottle and sold it to someone with an ad in the Old Bottle Magazine for $200. I knew it was rare but that seemed like a lot of money back then. In the last 30 years I have not dug another one or even a broken one that I remember, I don't think I've even seen another one since then.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93