what did it go on

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, found this sunday. it's about 5 3/4" tall, about 2 3/4" wide. not sure what the metal is, but it's very heavy. must have been mounted on something. any help would be appreciated. thanks rhona

Fd91481.jpg

Attachments

• Fd91481.jpg
    Fd91481.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 79

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Looks like a door knocker to me...bail would have hung from the single upper hole and been "knocked" against the lower concave section...(methinks).

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
here's the side view razoredge. whiskey man i'm not sure what a bail is. would there be another part this would be mounted on? thanks for looking.. rhona

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
im not sure but i know what a bail is...hes saying that this is the peice that the thing you actually move to knock with was mounted on...the bail is the piece you grab and knock with and thats what you knock it on....But i think its pretty cool i just now realized there is a womans face and hair and then her body but she has wings...

madman

Reaction score
hey rhona im gonna say its a door knocker and i must say thats a nice find mike

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
get it like new again put it in a bucket filled with just enough clr to go over the top of the knocker dont dilute it and watch it closely to see when its done fizzing.....then go rinse it with the hose and it will be all shiny again[:D]

Roger

Reaction score
im not sure but i know what a bail is

A bail is an arched hooplike handle or fixture for example a hoop like those used to support the top of a covered wagon or the hinged bar on a typewriter that holds the paper against the platen.

Looking at the profile I am not so sure this is a knocker. The fixing hole does not look as if it would give the knocker any pivot on which to be raised and lowered with a loud 'knock'.

All the knockers I have seen have a bail like whiskeyman suggested or a elementary hinge of some sort.

I would be interested in your thoughts now we have seen the side view whiskeyman?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter