what did it go on

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
uhhhh.....like i said...the thing you knock with.....when i said "im not sure" i was referring to the object, i wasnt sure what it was....then i said but i know what a bail is.....

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
well whatever it was i think the middle hole was to attach it to the wall....thats what the hook kind of part at the end is for, so that it sits flat.....see you screw or nail or whatever it into the wall so that the bottom hook and the middle curved part touch the wall...i dont know if im explaining this okay but im almost positive thats what the hole is for so it can be mounted on the wall......maybe it was just a small decoration

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Rhona,
Looks like the item you found is either cast brass or bronze. I would hold off on cleaning it til you find more info on it. Check my thread on what turned out to be a tee handle door pull that I dug that's worth $400-500 bucks. DiggerJeff on this forum got the info for me, he collects this type hardware as well as bottles. If you PM him he might be able to ID the item and give you an idea of its value. Hope this helps.

Cliff

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, i want to thank you all so much for your input on this. clif thanks for the information about contacting digger jeff. i took it to show my mother today (she is 81) she said "oh an angel" she thinks this is the neatest thing i found so far. thanks again, rhona

diggerjeff

Reaction score
sorry guys i had comp. problems. i have checked all antique door hardware referances that i have and searched the net , i have come up with nothing on this item. i am also inclined to think it is NOT a door knocker. my opinion is that it is some kind of adornment that might have been used in a church .

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi diggerjeff, thanks for replying and your thoughts on this. there is an old catholic church about a block from where i found this the church was built in 1838. do you have any ideal as to age or value on this? thanks alot, rhona

swizzle

Reaction score
Are you sure it didn't go on the front of a boat? That was my first thought when I saw the pic. Swiz

diginit

Reaction score
I'm thinking charob. inscents burner or simply an ordiment decorating the popet or pillar. Some old churchs were very ornate. Just a guess. Next opinion please.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
heheh...I'm stubborn...still think it's a door knocker.

If the back was flat or if the curve was in the opposite direction, I'd be inclined to think an ornamental object...but the bottom curves out to the front... in an excellent position for the bail to "knock" upon. It also has a hole indicating wear...?

I have an older Eagle knocker...all that is required is a bracket with a bail, bolted through the one hole.

(of course this is just my observation)...[&:]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter