What does the mark on the heel of a soda bottle mean?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

brynnc

Reaction score
I'm looking at two bottles

First is Brody Bottling Works from Chicago, the second is American Bottling Works also from Chicago. The American Bottling Works also says "B. BRODY PROP. CHICAGO TRADE MARK REGISTERED B"

Brody Bottling Works has: S 13 A B CO on heel
American Bottling Works has: S 12 A B CO. on the heel

Are these two companies related? What does the mark on the heel mean?

Last edited:

webe992

Reaction score
A.B. Co. stands for the American Bottling Company (1905-1929). It's where the bottles would have been made.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score

First is Brody Bottling Works from Chicago, the second is American Bottling Works also from Chicago. The American Bottling Works also says "B. BRODY PROP. CHICAGO TRADE MARK REGISTERED B"

ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• American_BLockhart.pdf
    117.5 KB · Views: 157

brynnc

Reaction score
This is great information! Thank you so much! Any idea how I can find out if these two companies are related? Did one buy the other? Did two different Brody's own them?

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
This is great information! Thank you so much! Any idea how I can find out if these two companies are related? Did one buy the other? Did two different Brody's own them?
They are both American Bottling works bottles made for Brody. 2 variations. Here is a link to a picture of a Hutchinson bottle made for Brody.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
"rare and all original antique american early twentieth century colorless glass hutchinson style beer or mineral water bottle fabricated for brody bottling works." https://www.urbanremainschicago.com...ttle-fabricated-for-brody-bottling-works.html

brynnc

Reaction score
One is I. Brody and one is B. Brody though. Maybe two family members that worked together?

brynnc

Reaction score
Is there anywhere you know if that I could find any info on these companies? Thanks for your help!

K6TIM

Reaction score

Go to a web site called "HISTORIC BOTTLES" It tell you a lot about company bottle mark,and logo's embossed on the bottom of a lot of bottles.

K6TIM

Reaction score
Is there anywhere you know if that I could find any info on these companies? Thanks for your help!
Go to a web site called "HISTORIC BOTTLES" This bottle site is the best I ever found on all aspect's of bottle age colr,lips etc. from Victorian (1800'S) age to mid-50's

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn