What is a Kick Up?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ryan

Reaction score
No picture to go with this question, but I was wondering why some bottles have what some people call kick ups? I have a couple of these with deep kick ups and am curious about them. Are these freeblown? Can a kick up be called a type of pontil?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Ryan

Reaction score
That's interesting, what a novel way to save room in the shipping box!

Thanks for the tidbit...

-Ryan

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Ryan, one of a kickup's main function is to catch sediment. They are predominant in wines but also some food stuff bottles (such as oils). Hope this helps, Kelley

flasherr

Reaction score
Main Entry: coun·ter·in·tu·i·tive
Pronunciation: -in-'tü-&-tiv, -'tyü-
Function: adjective
Date: 1955
: contrary to what one would intuitively expect
- coun·ter·in·tu·i·tive·ly /-lE/ adverb

Wow that is a big word for a simple boy like me I had to look it up to see what it meant. I always figured the kick up was to cheat you out of some of the contents. Now days they will change the shape or size of a product and actually give you less for your money and most people never even notice. Im not only learning bottles here im learning big words lol cant wait to use it on some one lol
Brian

David E

Reaction score
Everyone forgot to mention that a kickup is also for bottle strenght.
Dave

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Well, Glen, I would argue with Cleveland about the "nesting" notion.

Can you imagine any reasonable configuration where wine bottles are stacked on top of one-another in a single crate for shipment?

Typical wine bottles are nine to twelve inches tall. They are, to this day, packed for shipping upright, usually in a 3x4 arrangement. (They may be stored for long periods on theirs sides to keep the cork moist.)

For example, Champagne bottles on the Bertrand (which sank in 1865) were packed one-dozen to the box. Champagne bottles are a good choice for a mind-experiment: they have a very prominent kick-up, and tons (literally) of them have been shipped.

Let's say that the average weight of a 19th century Champagne bottle is 2 pounds (I just weighed several). The weight of a quart (the volume of the Bertrand Champagne bottles) of wine is about 2 pounds (based on the weight of water). That is four pounds before adding the weight of the wooden crate.

That means that a crate of 12 bottles of this Champagne would weigh about 50 pounds! Do you think that a second row of bottles in that crate was ever feasible? Remember, these crates were all moved by hand -- no forklifts!

<><><><><><

Brian . . . Don't go usin' the big words you learn here on another simple country boy! Instead of being impressed with your vocabulary, he's liable to figure you're putting on airs. There's a lot of anti-intellectualism out there, so don't use words that cause resentment-born-of-envy among the other country boys. Two-syllable words are safest when talking with simple country boys.

--------------Harry Pristis [;)]

Ryan

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the help...

-Ryan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member