what is it with these outrageous shipping charges?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Here's a nice fairly early hutch Western-blown, mug-base "fire aqua":
http://cgi.ebay.com/HERVE-SOMPS-SAN-FRANCISCO-CAL-mug-base-hutch-bottle_W0QQitemZ220553245278QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3359ff725e
...with only $17.65 for shipping? WTF?
And this one another fairly early hutch Western-blown, mug-base not quite "fire aqua":
http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLDEN-WEST-SODA-WORKS-SAN-FRANCISCO-CAL-soda-bottle_W0QQitemZ220553237557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3359ff5435
...and you get the same "deal" $17.65!!! shipping?
What is up with this seller? When I was selling on ebay nothing ever cost that much for shipping and in fact I got complaints that
my shipping/handling charge of $8.65 was too high...

DC14C2B6152A4B0F91170BE89E1A61D9.jpg

Attachments

• DC14C2B6152A4B0F91170BE89E1A61D9.jpg
    DC14C2B6152A4B0F91170BE89E1A61D9.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 90

drbob

Reaction score
I'd be at least annoyed that it's being sent Priority Mail but not for several days after payment is received.
Does that include PayPal? So you'll receive it in 7-8 business days. Not so great.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
It seems to be the trend today, most sellers are trying to recoup extra fees from ebay & paypal by raising shipping. I myself believe it to be counter productive, it scares some buyers away, and most factor in the shipping in their bids, so for every dollar you raise shipping, that is one dollar less received in bids. I also remember when Glasswork Auctions were a reasonable $8 to ship, but no more. Out of all the major bottle auction houses, I think Jeff Wichman rates very well for reasonable shipping. Try buying from some major antique auction house though, and you will find shipping charges of $40 or more, on top of their commissions. I do believe the ebayer shown has a fairly good reputation, overall a good dealer.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
For the most part it shouldnt matter to you what people charge for shipping as long as they tell you up front, the item is well packed, and gets to you in a reasonable time. You just bid based on the total cost of the item.
The one problem I see is if you have to return an item and the seller only refunds the purchase price you will be screwed. That would be my main beef with mitigating fleabay fees using shipping fees.

The shipping rates from the big bottle auctions are of concern not just because they are high but also because they are not disclosed up front so you can factor them into your bid price. You just have to take a worst case guess. For people buying $2000 bottles its probably not too significant but that isnt me.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Did they just change it? They say $8.75 for shipping when I look.. and yeah, what the blazes is fire aqua?? opalescent maybe?

FloridaRecycled

Reaction score
When I looked - and entered my zip - shipping to Orlando is $14.85...just depends on where you are...

I agree - shipping is crazy - does that include the insurance or I guess that's more?

At least eBay is keeping the US Post Office busy...with everyone using the internet and texting...and most bills being paid on line...I expect without the shipping/relocating of "stuff" from eBay and online stores...the PO wouldn't be doing too good right now!

jays emporium

Reaction score
This seller is using the ebay shipping calculator so rates are different for different buyer locations. They put in a package weight much higher than it actually is so they can cover the listing fees, final value fees, paypal fees and the cost of insurance plus the actual postage cost. I agree with what Gunther says, just adjust your top bid to reflect your total cost for the item. That's what I do.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Gunther also makes a valid point about having to return an item, you generally don't get your shipping fees refunded. This just happened to me. I bought a bottle and paid $15 for shipping which I figured into my bid price. The seller stated "no cracks", and it arrived with a large crack in the lip. I sent it back, it cost me $7, so the seller makes an $8 profit off me for a lousy description. I know that I would refund shipping if I made a mistake, as most reputable dealers would also, but there is always someone looking for an angle......Bill

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey