Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

What type of seal and lid would this jar have?

watertender

Jun 16, 2021
I am trying to identify what type of jar this actually is and if the lid that it has is actually correct or just married up.

I have no idea who made it, it appears to have a triangle with a H in the center on the bottom (very faint) but I could not find any mark that is similar in researching it. It also states May 21 1895 Safety Seal on the bottom.

The lid states Pat D Sept 20, 1898 and has a circle with a A in the center. Atlas maybe? Since the dates are different I am thinking these two do not belong together so wondering what lid type this jar would have had.

Is this a common jar? It has been kicking around my storage unit for years and just now digging it out.

Attachments

klaatu

May 29, 2016
The glass lid and jar do not belong together. The jar is a Safety Valve (RB #2538) & is rather common. The closure for the jar is a metal band clamp & glass lid, just not the one pictured. The glass lid in your pics would be correct for a couple of different jars: 1) B & B (RB #181), 2) The Dunkley Preserving Co. (RB #854-855) and 3) T.M. Sinclair & Co. LTD. Pork and Beef Packers (RB #2637). These three jars all took a flat metal clamp & the glass lid pictured. The B & B and Dunkley jars are only embossed on the base while the Sinclair jar is side embossed.

Nickneff

Jan 6, 2021
I am trying to identify what type of jar this actually is and if the lid that it has is actually correct or just married up.

I have no idea who made it, it appears to have a triangle with a H in the center on the bottom (very faint) but I could not find any mark that is similar in researching it. It also states May 21 1895 Safety Seal on the bottom.

The lid states Pat D Sept 20, 1898 and has a circle with a A in the center. Atlas maybe? Since the dates are different I am thinking these two do not belong together so wondering what lid type this jar would have had.

Is this a common jar? It has been kicking around my storage unit for years and just now digging it out.
I agree with k that's what I'm calling that guy that lid does not belong with that jar. looks like the jars is a wax sealer nice color I like it

watertender

Jun 16, 2021
The glass lid and jar do not belong together. The jar is a Safety Valve (RB #2538) & is rather common. The closure for the jar is a metal band clamp & glass lid, just not the one pictured. The glass lid in your pics would be correct for a couple of different jars: 1) B & B (RB #181), 2) The Dunkley Preserving Co. (RB #854-855) and 3) T.M. Sinclair & Co. LTD. Pork and Beef Packers (RB #2637). These three jars all took a flat metal clamp & the glass lid pictured. The B & B and Dunkley jars are only embossed on the base while the Sinclair jar is side embossed.
Thanks so much for the info. I am not an expert for sure so assume the RB is for the Red Book reference which seems to be quite a collector item in and of itself. Have been trying to see if my local library could find one for me but did not have much luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colo